Thursday, December 20, 2012

the end of an era

Cenote Ceh’ Yax




 So tomorrow is December 21, 2012. That's when the world will end, right?

Wrong. Sorry guys. You still have to go to work. You still have to make dinner. (Doesn't making dinner every single day get annoying? Maybe that's just me.). You still have to pay off your loans.

The Mayan calendar is cyclical, just like our calendar. The "long count" portion of the calendar ends some time around December 21st of this year. (December 21st would make sense since it is the winter solstice.)

What happens when our calendar year ends? It starts again the next day.

So does the Mayan calendar. The start of a new era.

And what happens at the start of each of our years? We resolve to make changes. To be better.

The end of the Mayan long count marks the start of a new era: a chance for us to wipe away the evils of the previous era. For us to rebuild this earth. To have a new world.

I've never been huge on making new year's resolutions, but this I can wrap my brain around.

Who cares if I start going to the gym in January or if I start drinking 8 glasses of water a day or if I resolve to blog twice a week every week for all of 2013?

Let's use this new era to make the world a better place. A second chance.

Forget making new year's resolutions on January 1st. How about we make life resolutions on December 21st?

What kind of life are you going to to live in the new era? How are you going to contribute to a new world? In your home. In your community. Globally.

Think about it.

I'll be making my list tomorrow.

No comments: