Saturday, March 31, 2012

i love my job

The office. Still need to add art to the walls to spruce it up a bit.
And I need a name for the little bunny that runs around the garden below my window. 
It has come to my attention that a few of you would like to know how the new job is going.

Well. let's just say that I've said. "I love my job," so many times in the last 4 weeks that I'm worried it's starting to annoy people.

Let me just say it one more time: I love my job.

Now let's not assume that loving my new job means that my old job was bad. That's not the case. I worked (correction: work--I'm still there half time) with great people, I enjoy interacting with the medical students, my job was flexible, and Stanford is just a great place to work in general. I even loved learning about the field of medicine and how to navigate medical school. Trust me. I have a lot of knowledge stored in this head of mine. Ask me about it sometime. Leaving is bitter sweet. I have been working half time at my "old" job for the last 4 weeks and will continue for another 4. Splitting my time between the two jobs is keeping me on my toes. I thrive on being busy. April 27th should be my last day at the medical school. Considering I have been there just over 7 years, it will be sad to leave.

On the other hand, Latin American studies and Spanish (and, as of recent years, Portuguese) are where my passions lie. I can't even begin to describe how enlightening it is to go back to my field of study. I feel like an entire section of my brain has woken up that I didn't even know had gone to sleep.

The job: I work at Stanford's Center for Latin American Studies, which is one of 14 area studies centers under the Division of International, Comparative, and Area Studies. I am the Public Engagement Coordinator, which means that I'll be the outreach guru. Outreach means serving and working with the local and national community so that our Center serves more than just Stanford students and faculty. We are working with California community college instructors, local high school students, local K-12 teachers, and the general public through regular lecture series. Right now I'm helping organize a symposium on teaching human rights in community college courses, and I'm working on a Latin American regional perspectives curriculum piece to be shared at the symposium. Fascinating.

The people: If you want, you can check out the bios of our staff here, so I'll just say that they are great. Hard working. Organized. Fun. All of them. And that's just the immediate staff. Add in the 13 graduate students, the visiting scholars, and the other area studies staff, and it's shaping up to be a great place to work. Of the staff and faculty housed in BoHo (Bolivar House), I am the only one whose first language is English. So while they all speak English fluently, much of the conversation happens in Spanish and Portuguese. I love it.

To say I'm happy is an understatement. It feels good.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Congrats Molly! Woot for the corner office with the nice view (bunnies!). Your job sounds really cool and so you. I'm sure you will totally thrive there and be amazing. It's so huge to love your job so congrats again. You are an inspiration :)

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

It is always good to love to go to work! I like my job alot, but could definitely not do it for the rest of my life. I would love to get to a job where I don't mind going to in all the time!

Julia Wade said...

I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am for you.. such an amazing thing to do what you love and to use yours talents and your education.. Molly!! So fabulous.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

ditto what Julia said. SO happy for you! Not everyone can do what they love for a living. You rock lady!

Molly said...

Thanks, guys!

Alycia--I know it's still new, but I love going and I usually wish I had more time to finish stuff at the end of the day.