Wednesday, February 1, 2012

doing what you want to do now

Source: Simple Lovely
Today I came across this post over at Simple Lovely about taking a leap and "trusting your cape." I am inspired by people who take a chance and leave their job to pursue their passions.

But how do they make it happen?

Is it really only possible for people who have a large savings?
...for people who have a spouse who can support the family?
...for people who don't have kids?

Really. How do they do it?

My heart aches to drop everything and pursue my passions (which, I'll have you know, include just being with my kids), but my brain knows I have a family to support.

When you know you need to be responsible, is it ever time to just start doing what you want to do?

I am a big advocate of being happy wherever you are in life. I have my days (weeks? months?) of wishing things were different, but I also recognize that I'm quite blessed and have plenty of reasons to be happy with my life just as it is. And I do my best to ignore that grass that always seems greener on the other side and be happy with the grass growing right under my feet.

So how do you find a balance between being happy with your life the way it is and "trusting your cape" as you leap off toward something more?


{Update Feb. 2nd: Wow. Is everyone posting about this topic his week? Design Mom just posted this today.}

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Lovely. Thank you for sharing this.

Ashley said...

I've always thought chasing your dream (at least in the career way) sounded next to impossible for all the reasons you mentioned. And I worry that for every success story there are 20 or 50 failures. I am quite the optimist! But some people do it and props to them.

Tamra said...

We're not risk takers over here. We do things slowly or not at all, instead of jumping in. This is why we will probably never be dirt poor OR fabulously wealthy. Slow and steady at least gets a paycheck. :)

But I am in school right now, and that's moving me closer towards one of my passions. We just took our time getting to this point.

Molly said...

Ryan: I posted this just for you. Or something like that. ;)

Ashley and Tamra: I agree with you both. I'm very very safe about things. But part of me really wants to be one of those people who takes chances. I'd probably hyperventilate and pass out if I did, though.

Dianna said...

I'm definitely a chance taker. But then I married Bob, who isn't. So it's a nice balance...

Molly said...

Dianna--Someone needs to keep you grounded, right? ;)