Tuesday, November 8, 2011

i have big hair


I have big hair. My sisters used to make fun of my frizzy hair. The boys at church would throw tiny balled up pieces of paper into it. I'm not scarred by these things. I'm pretty sure I laughed with my sisters and loved the attention from the boys. We were old enough that they were my friends.

But my hair has never been curly. Just poofy. I've tried straightening it, but that just looks silly on me. I usually just wear it up.

According to many people, I have great hair, because it holds curl well and it's nice and thick. But who has time to curl their hair? And who even WANTS to have to curl their hair every day? Not me, says the low-maintenance girl with the ponytail.

And I never understood products that claimed to "lift" and "boost" your roots. The last thing my hair needed was a boost.

But I was wrong. Oh, I was wrong.

Last weekend I decided that if my hair wanted to be big, I would embrace it. So I boosted those roots and wore it BIG. Christian called me a lion.

I took a ton of pictures of myself in an attempt to show how big it was. None of the photos did it justice (hence the reason I took at least 20). I deleted most of them, because they looked like I was taking a picture of myself and trying to look all cute. I was just trying to show how big my hair was without having a stupid look on my face.

So after all taking billions of photos of myself (and feeling stupid in the process), Carly was actually the one who snapped a good one. So I stole it from her blog. But by then the top had fallen. I've got to master the art of maintaining the lion. Roar.


Go big or go home, right? Right.

14 comments:

Jenna said...

ha ha....this post made me laugh. you look pretty! I love your hair!

Chelle said...

I used to have SUPER big hair--like, so big that one day when I actually wore a pony tail, the guy sitting behind me in English class started singing the song "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone." But he changed the words to "I can see clearly now, Michelle's hair's gone." It had to have stuck up at least seven inches. But hey, I'm a Utah girl--aren't we known for having big hair? :) I think yours is cute. Embrace the lioness!

Chelle said...

P.S. Was Jared one of those boys who threw little wads of paper into your hair? He seems too sweet to do that...but then again I don't know what he was like as a youngster! :)

Hilary said...

I love the hair. Rock it.

Packet of Seeds said...

I love the BIG hair too...so envious
of those with thick long hair. I am with Hilary...rock it girl!

Molly said...

Thanks, Jenna!

Michelle--Jared was absolutely one of the boys.

Hilary and Karen--I think I will!

Molly said...

And Madika, who didn't leave a comment--Yes. Your hair has mine beat by a long shot. But you know I love your hair and would rock it if it were my own. I can only aspire to be like you. ;)

Courtney said...

OMG, you look sooo adorable in the top pic especially! love the lip color and your hair looks kind of darker than usual - super cute!! Big hair all the way ;)

Molly said...

Thanks, Court! The color was a little more orange in person, but I love the way it turned out in the photo. Now I need to go in search of that color. And then figure out how to keep my hair out of my lipstick. Seriously--how do people wear lipstick? I'm not sure I can keep it up.

Meredith said...

I LOVE YOUR HAIR. You have no idea how jealous this wispy-haired girl is...

Amy Carter said...

i like it curly. i'll have to give you my curl products, as mine never gets more than a slight wave.

Molly said...

Mer--Why thank you! But you can pull off super cute short hair that I can't, because mine will only poof into a strange wave when I cut it short. I've always admired your short hair.

Amy--You should bring your curl products to Hollister for Thanksgiving...

Em said...

I think your hair is beautiful. I envy thick luxurious hair as mine is not thick or luxurious. It looks great in that photo--down and wavy. Not like a lion at all.

That being said, the right stylist can work magic with your type of hair, give you the right products to use, and give you a style that's low-maintenance as well. I use to go to a stylist who astounded me with her vision of what my hair could do.

Emma and Dan said...

I know the point of this post was how big and crazy your hair is, but I think you look great!

I wear my hair in a ponytail 9 out of 10 days, so I definitely agree with you on the whole thick/wavy/frizzy hair thing being more of a curse than a blessing. But maybe I should try to make my hair big tomorrow and then I can be hot like you. :)