Monday, August 15, 2011

potty training 101



1. Realize you have to take 2 days off in the middle of the week, so you might as well make it a 5-day weekend and give the potty training thing a try.

2. Start out with the understanding that your kid is probably way too young to be potty trained.

3. Admit the fact that he doesn't even communicate basic needs like being hungry or thirsty to you, so there's no way he'll tell you he has to go potty.

4. Try teaching him to teach a dolly how to go potty. Then remember that he has a 1-second attentions span and ditch the dolly when all he does it poke at her eyes.


5. Take the kid to a pool party/BBQ even though you're supposed to stay at home.

6. Thank your lucky stars you have a baby who doesn't mind being ignored.


7. Eat lots of junk food.

8. Give in when the kid demands to wear a helmet (and makes you and the husband wear them, too).


9. Curse the gardeners when they show up 30 minutes after said kid has gone down for a nap in underwear.

10. Figure this will never actually work, but keep at it anyway.

There are probably better things I could be doing with a 5-day weekend...

{Graham just got up from his nap, peed in the room even though the door was open, came into the kitchen, got on a chair, peed on the chair, looked at it and babbled something, then went on playing. Ha! This experiment is officially over. To be continued in a few months...}

7 comments:

Braden and Cheri said...

Not that you're looking for advice, but here's the best advice I was given: "Wait until your kid is ready to potty train." Simple I know, but i can't tell you how much it eased the stress of potty training. Keara literally came down the stairs one day and said "I don't want to wear diapers anymore." And that was it. No accidents, no stress. Taryn was barely 2 (like the week after her birthday or maybe even the week before) when she started removing her diaper and wanting to sit on the potty. She was too young to get on by herself, pull up her pants, etc. so it took longer, but she was a quick study...besides not pooping in the potty. Because she was too young (though eager), it took 6 months (mind you, we moved in that time and took a LONG break). By the time she was big enough to take care of herself, she figured it out quickly. Now Avery is wanting to try out the potty but she is too young to get on, etc. so I want her to wait. But I'm letting her at least try it out.

Still, back to the advice...let your child lead his potty training. Don't try to push it on him before he's wanting to or you will end up with a lot longer road than you really wanted. And is it really potty trained if you have to help them EVERY time they go? Like getting up with them every night? Or having to spend half your day in the bathroom waiting for them so you can wipe them and pull up their pants?

If this weekend isn't a smashing success, wait till Graham is ready.

Molly said...

Ha! Cheri--I think we could probably already agree that this weekend hasn't been a smashing success. ;)

Carbonneau said...

agreed with comment above. however, I always have to experience it before I believe it lol.
Best decision ever was to wait for our third and it took him 2 days once he decided he was ready. granted he was 3 1/2, and I did try once before that where I was potty trained for him and he would go every time I took him...till he pooped once while I was taking a nap and smeared it on every step (we have lots) and a few different carpets...let's just say I threw in the towel and waited. HOWEVER, your post included your doubts and worries, and I know you are going to do great! GOOD LUCK!

Hilary said...

I see that we are in the same boat here Molly. May the Force be with you.

Ashley said...

These pics are so dang cute. My kids made me keep scrolling up and down! I say quit while you still have any free time left!

Amy Carter said...

at least you got some cute pics out of it. now get out of the house and enjoy the last couple days of vacation that you have!

Jules said...

I can't tell you how much I loved this post! It made me laugh out loud. Thanks!