Friday, July 15, 2011

in the words of james brown...


{photo source}

In the words of James Brown... I feel good.

Yesterday, however, I did not feel good. Unemployment (or should I say underemployment) and a long-lasting job hunt is not exactly chicken soup for the soul. The past couple of days have been disheartening, but I think we're on the upward swing of this emotional pendulum.

And that's good. I much prefer the upward swing.

On top of that upward swing, I feel good for another reason: I'm simplifying my life.

While Christian looks for full time work and can't find it, I have part-time work falling in my lap and can't take it.

Funny how that works. Such is life.

Last week I got an email from the director of my evening teaching job to see if I had made a decision about teaching in the Fall. I've been putting off this decision for weeks.

Yesterday I got a phone call from an former professor of mine at SJSU asking if I'd like to teach 2 sections of a remedial reading/writing course for SJSU undergraduates. Talk about feeling flattered. I'd have to convince Stanford to let me cut back to 75% FTE for a semester.

Would I like to teach my ESL students again? Of course I would!

Would I like to take a shot at teaching undergrads? Of course I would!

Would I like to have a nervous breakdown? Mmmmm, probably not!

So today I called my ESL director and told her to go ahead and find someone else this year. She knows I love them, and I know she loves me. There will be opportunities in the future.

I also decided to decline the SJSU position. It's not a highly sought-after course among the faculty, so there should be opportunities in the future.

Then I took a deep breath and thought about an entire year of having only one job.

And I feel good.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, that is so flattering to be offered a professor-ship! I bet it was hard to turn that down--times and seasons right? Now I want to see you do that dance James Brown is doing.

Molly said...

Ashley--Next time I see you, I will hike up my pants and do that dance.