Sunday, June 26, 2011

XTERRA Tahoe City



Ta da! This is one of two picture I have of the race. This is me in my socks outside our cabin about to go collapse for a nap. COLLAPSE...

Yesterday I did the XTERRA Tahoe City triathlon (short course). I repeat--I did the short course. I'm pretty sure I would have DIED if I had attempted the long course.

This race was my motivation to work out after having Liam--and after having to skip the US Half Marathon "The Other Half" because of post-baby complications (i.e. my misbehaving bladder). It was really fun to train with my brothers and share race stories with them afterward!

So here's the race report for my race-y friends!

SWIM

Oh. My. Gosh. I was not prepared for this at all. The day before the race I got in the water at Meek's Bay in order to test out the wetsuit and the cold water. (Special thanks to Lindsey for loaning me the wet suit!) Have you ever forced yourself to keep your head in water that gives you a brain freeze? It's painful. Really painful. It took over 10 minutes for my breathing to calm down enough that I could actually swim. The morning of the race, my brothers and I got in the water 10 minutes before the start in order to acclimate. Apparently it didn't help much. My breathing never calmed down from the cold enough for regular swimming. And it was scary. I had to keep my head out of the water the entire time in order to keep from panicking. Not exactly what I had anticipated. Took me forever, but I finished. I may or may not have been the last person...

TRANSITION 1


I was dizzy and couldn't walk straight when I came out of the water. While it was scary, I had my own little support crew of my nieces (and their friend) running circles around me. Actually, I think they may have made me more dizzy. I can remember telling them to back up, because I wasn't walking straight and was worried I'd run over one of them. But once I started heading down the path toward the transition area (a quarter of a mile away), I recovered and felt fine. The best part was when Quincee was running alongside me and said "Wow. This is a long way."

BIKE


(Proof that I was actually on the course...)

On to the bike! (Thanks, Dyan, for letting me borrow your bike!) This was actually more or less what I had anticipated. The first climb was easier than I had expected. The second climb was harder than I expected, but only because of all the loose rock! Really. Climbing on loose rock sucks! The ride was beautiful. One of these days I'll overcome my fear going downhill. But you should have seen me flying down the rocky fire road at the end. That went against every cautious bone in me. Scary!!!

TRANSITION 2


My mom and my boys were there cheering me on! (Special thanks to my parents for watching my boys!) Oh, and Ian and Tyler had already finished the race by this time. 'Nuf said...

RUN

This was EXACTLY what I had expected. Straight up for a mile and a half. Straight down for a mile and a half. (Only I'm convinced it was more than 3 miles.) And I had to pee THE WHOLE TIME. Luckily I've done lots and lots of races that involved running straight up for miles. While it took me a long time, it was kind of like being back in my element. Only in much worse shape... I really need to get back into running shape.

Minus the swim (and falling off my bike a couple times), I definitely enjoyed it. I have never been so excited to come in last. Oh yeah--did I mention I most likely came in last?

Now it's time to really get in shape. I'm excited.

8 comments:

Veronica Cleverly said...

Yea!! I am so glad you did it! Josh was going to do his first triathlon at the end of July but he hasn't done one thing to prepare. Instead of the race we are going to babysit his brother Jack for a week. Oh well. Where was Christian in all of this?

Julia Wade said...

I am in awe!! Just to get out there and do it is a serious accomplishment. You are seriously my hero. Seriously.

Courtney said...

Ditto! You rock. I can't imagine having to swim fast in water that cold! Someday I hope to do a triathlon, but not anytime soon...

LJ, DC and ML said...

Seriously, who can swim in ice water? You are amazing Molly. I am 100% with Julia. AMAZING! I'm so proud of you for finishing the swim, let alone all of the rest of it!

Amy Carter said...

nice job!!!!!!

Kerri said...

speechless. but my heart is still racing at the thought of you in that water. i am in awe of how far you've come from our college days of mutually hating running...your mind is amazing and powerful. you set your mind to something, and you can do it. you are powerful.

The Carters said...

You did awesome. That was the hardest swim and run I've ever done. Thanks for racing with me. The water is way warmer at Xterra Incline Village in August. :-)
Ian

Shayla Taylor said...

What's your newest goal!? :)