Monday, June 20, 2011

working men v. working women

I was interviewed as part of a "working LDS women" study being conducted by a local PhD student. The interview was fascinating. I could have talked for an hour and a half straight. Oh wait. I did talk for an hour and a half straight. (Christian says I get it from my mom.)

One of the most interesting things I realized was that when people realize I have two jobs, two kids under two at home, am training for a triathlon (ahem, not training enough), and still somehow manage to do fun stuff here and there, they always ask me, "How in the world do you manage to do all of that?" "How do you do it with 2 small kids at home?"

When is the last time you heard someone ask a man that?

How in the world does he manage to have a full-time career with kids at home?

How in the world did he have time to put up a fence after working all week??

How in the world did he work a 50-hour week, manage his calling at church, go golfing, go to the gym, play with his kids, and manage to study for the GMAT on top of that? He must be superman!


When is the last time you heard anyone say anything like this?

You don't. It's just kind of expected that a man support his family full time and not be stressed out by it.

Today I'd like to give a shout out to all the busy dads out there. The dads who work all week. The dads who stay home with their kids all week. The dads who put in so much time for their families.

People are constantly asking me how I manage to do everything. My answer? Because of Christian.

So next time you see Christian, ask him how he manages working full time, taking care of 2 kids, handling a wife who is running around like a chicken with its head cut off (and dragging him along for the ride), running a shirt business on the side, trying to do fun things in his tiny bit of free time, and, on top of it all--never giving up on what has been a very difficult and frustrating job search.

Thanks for all your hard work, love. Happy Father's Day.

5 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

Hurray for Christian! Yay!

webster said...

I want to hear about this study.

Molly said...

Whitney--send me your email address (molly dot auf at gmail dot com). Do you work?

Also--I can't find the link to your blog for some reason. Can you send it to me?

Ashley said...

One of the things I love best about you is how complimentary you always are of Christian. You two are a fantatic couple. And totally true about everything you said!

Tamra said...

It is interesting. On the flip side, no one ever compliments a woman for watching her own kids. "Wow, you watched your kids for a week so your husband could go to Scout Camp," has never been said. But if a man watched his own kids for a week so his WIFE could go somewhere? He's a superhero.

It's so funny how our expectations are different for each sex, and that colors what we think is amazing or not.

Having said that, Christian sounds amazing. :)