Wednesday, April 20, 2011

big boy bed

Lately when we say, "Do you want to go night night? Do you want to go to bed?", Graham has been getting up and walking straight to his room. So we thought maybe it was time to transition him into a bed. You never know--one of these days he may just walk to his room and go to sleep when he gets tired. Hey--you never know.

So we put the twin mattress on the floor and gave it a try on Friday night.

The first night it took a little (and I emphasize little) convincing, but he went to sleep on the mattress. We peeked in a couple hours later and had a good laugh to find him asleep on the floor. An hour later I was brushing my teeth and heard the "twang twang" of something hitting the doorstop in Graham's room. I thought Christian was in there making noise, so when I came out of the bathroom to check, I saw Graham's door open slowly and a tiny little head came crawling out--surely half asleep. It was the most adorable thing. I took him back in and he went back to sleep. He ended up on the floor again by early morning, but he slept all night.

Since then he has slept on the mattress. Even for his naps. Christian and I have both peeked in on him around the time he should be waking up only to find him just sitting on his mattress waiting for us. Other times he gets fed up and yells for us. This morning we left the door open and he came out on his own. So strange!

Since the first night, he hasn't fallen off the mattress. Oh, except for that one time that he somehow landed on his face and was stuck half upside down and crying for someone to come rescue him.

Tonight is night 6 in the big boy bed. At 17 months old. Where did this little guy come from?

10 comments:

Kerri said...

Awww :) that is a huge success :) way to go graham!

Tamra said...

Hurray! Both of my boys walked into their room when they were tired. Now that they're older, that's usually not the case, but hey, it was great while it lasted! (And Miciah was a different story. Bedtime was a 3 hour ordeal. Seriously.)

LJ, DC and ML said...

Way to go G! That is so awesome!

Amy Carter said...

no way!! that's amazing. and really cute.

Dianna said...

He's like that because you and Christian are awesome! I miss that little boy!

Eve said...

you seriously lucked out! Graham is the easiest going toddler I've ever met!

Julia Wade said...

goooooooooo graham!!

Hannah said...

way to go...thats awesome he did it so early. i love seeing little tiny bodies sleeping in big beds so cute!

Chris said...

I'm sure that everyone else has already thought of the mattress-on the-floor idea, but I thought it was ingenious when you told me about it. Is he finally realizing that he has lots more freedom not that he's not confined to a crib? Being able to get up at will puts him into the big kid category.

Alecia said...

So cute! I'm still in denial that we're going to need to transition to some sort of bed. My boys are gonna have a hey day!