Tuesday, February 8, 2011

the mirror revealed





On February 7, 2007, I got a free 4'9" x 5'6" mirror off Craigslist. The mirror was nothing more than a 1/4" piece of glass, and I had grand plans of building a frame.

We planned to store the mirror behind my brother's shed until I bought wood for the frame.

The project was in the forefront of my mind for a long time. I really wanted to build that frame!

Fastforward almost 3 years and 1 baby later. December of 2009. The mirror was still sitting behind Tyler's shed, but they were moving, so it needed to go. So we moved the glass to our apartment where it sat, leaning up against our bedroom wall.

Fastforward another year and another baby. February 2011. Now that we have a garage and work space, we bought vintage redwood siding with faded yellow paint from Wholehouse Salvage in EPA and some plywood to use as backing. I borrowed Tyler's table saw and got to work--measuring, cutting, filing, sanding...

We stayed home from church today since both kids are sick, and, while the kids napped, Christian helped me put the frame together.

By absolute coincidence, on February 7, 2011, four years to the day after I got the mirror, it is finished.

If you want to see how we made it, check out the tutorial here.

9 comments:

Amy Carter said...

nice.....

it looks really good. can't wait to see it in person.

Chelle said...

Ooooh! Aaaaaah! :) No seriously, what a cool project! Stuff like that has always been hard for me. I got my one and only C in 7th grade shop b/c I couldn't get my wood angles right when I tried to put things together. :) So way to go! Sounds like you and Christian had some fun bonding time doing it together too. And how cool that it was four years to the DAY that you got it done. Was that planned? :)

Chris said...

I'm so excited to see this post. Yesterday afternoon it was still on the floor of the garage. Even at that angle I loved it. The old wood is perfect.
The only reason I looked at my computer this morning was to see if you'd been able to accomplish your tues. goal of getting the really, really heavy mirror to its rightful spot. Did your neighbor help you and Christian with the move? The question now is, is it slimming? ;)

Molly said...

Michelle - The 4-year-to-the-day timing was not planned. Isn't that crazy? I started writing this blog post and went back through my email to see when I got it. On February 7, 2007 I had written an email to my brother telling him I was going to pick up a big mirror that night. Then I realized it was February 6, 2011 and that the following day I'd be buying and applying the clear coat and it would be finished! Crazy, huh?

Mom - Getting it in the house was way easier than I had imagined. We moved it into the hallway while all the kids were sleeping. Then when they woke up it was easy to slide it into the room and flip it upright. It slid really easily on the carpet.

Ashley said...

Wow, reminds me of the building of the Salt Lake Temple! And almost as monumental! It turned out gorgeous. After all those years behind our shed I never would have believed it if I didn't see the pictures.

Eve said...

Wow Molly! You are amazing!!! that is beautiful! It would have cost like $999 for a mirror like that anywhere else. Nice!

Murphy Mania said...

Hooray for finishing projects! For some strange reason, this gives me hope that I will finish my Christmas tree skirt lurking in the hall closet.

Dana said...

Love that story! and I love the mirror!

Afton said...

I love it!