Sunday, January 9, 2011

more thoughts on the prolapse

I've been reading a website called Hab-It.com that addresses my prolapse problem. It's the same website that sells the pelvic floor exercise DVD (I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival). What I love about this site is that it highlights success stories and emphasizes exercise and movement. I've learned in the past week that my tendency is to sit around thinking that movement is going to make things worse (since too much activity makes me uncomfortable). This site encourages you to move--to strengthen your pelvic floor and core, to improve your posture, and to get out and walk. I'm definitely partial to this kind of advice.

I know that some of you were concerned that I was reading horror stories online and freaking out about it. I was actually looking for advice like this. I'm a positive thinker, but I'm also realistic and like to see all sides of things. I like to be well informed about all the possible outcomes, but don't you worry--I always search for the success stories. The problem was that at the time I wanted to find success stories that didn't involve effort. You know, the kind of thing that said, "Turns out my doctor was wrong and it wasn't really a problem!" Instead I learned that prolapse is usually a chronic problem that can be managed (and often quite well) with hard work and diligence.

While you all might think I'm this amazing exerciser (is that a word?), I know myself better. I'm quite the slacker. I can't tell you how many races I've run without actually training properly. I'm not being modest. I'm being realistic. Because I'm acutely aware of my slack-i-ness (once again, probably not a word), my worry is that I will slack off in my exercises and not ever work my way up to running comfortably again. I do believe that this is probably why a lot of runners stop running after a prolapse. Without hard work and proper training, running is bound to be quite uncomfortable.

That said, I am no longer planning to run the half marathon in April. Instead my goal will be the Lake Tahoe Half Marathon in September. That gives me 9 months to see what I can do. Bring it on, bladder.

{Also, just to clarify--the doctor I saw was not my doctor. I emailed my doctor for her opinion and am awaiting her response. Until then, my plan is to do pelvic floor exercises for the next 3 weeks until my 6-week check up. At that point I'll see if the exercises have resulted in improvement and ask her for her opinion. I will give an update then.}

5 comments:

Dyan said...

Good luck Molly. I hope you are able to mange the problem.

Emma and Dan said...

I first heard about this a couple of years ago, and it has gotten a lot of press recently.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this! Despite what you call "slacking", in the past you have done enough training to make it through any given race, right? I know that you will do what you need to do in this situation as well. Good luck!

Niamh said...

Molly, I was delighted t read ur blog re prolapse. I had a beautiful baby boy at the end of Jan. He was 9lb 9 and it was a long tough labour! I hav been diagnosed with a cystocele prolapse, grade 1-2. I feel this all the time and devastated as when I run( my passion)/ it is uncomfortable. I hav been fitted with a ring, buy stil not the same. I am looking t hear how other runners with prolapses hav got back out there! Any advice wud b so welcome!

Molly said...

Niamh-I am so glad you found me! This was the reason I posted here--so other people with the same problem could find it. I hope you come back here to check this comment. Have you seen my most recent post about it? http://mollyauf.blogspot.com/search/label/prolapsed%20bladder

My baby is 6 months old today and I'm doing a triathlon this coming weekend. In other words, the prolapse isn't bothering me whatsoever now. I think 3 things really helped: 1) I did the Hab-It DVD exercises, 2) I started exercising despite the discomfort--I ran a little, biked, swam, and did yoga (none incredibly consistently, but I resisted the urge to just sit around because of it), and 3) my breastmilk slowly decreased and then I pretty much dried up when my baby was 5 months old. While I would have loved to have breastfed longer, I just wasn't very consistent with pumping at work. I've heard that prolapses often get better when you stop breastfeeding, because hormones go back to normal (helping the muscles tighten up).

Feel free to email me with any of your questions! I know it's uncomfortable and frustrating, but hang in there. My email is molly (dot) auf (at) gmail (dot) com.

Lean Lee said...

Thanks for being so thoughtful and generous in helping us become positive thinkers like you. I had to admit that I've become pessimist reading horrible stories to the next. I'm gonna have start looking at those products you've mentioned and hoping they do the same to me. Thanks!