Wednesday, December 29, 2010

where it all almost didn't begin



Because of our recent move, I often find myself driving through Sunnyvale on El Camino. When I do, I pass the In-N-Out on El Camino and Sunnyvale-Saratoga. Every time I'm reminded of how it all began. Or, rather, how it all almost didn't begin...

Back in the day (i.e. the summer of 2003) our friends all went to dinner to celebrate the lovely Jenni's birthday. You might also know her as Jenzel, Jenzel Washington, or JZ. At the time I was in denial that I had a crush on Christian. Just because he was the new cute guy in the group didn't mean I automatically had to have a crush on him, right? Right. Well Christian didn't show up at the dinner. I obviously noticed. Someone said he was on a date.

What? He was on a date? Meaning he had the option of asking someone on a date and didn't ask me?? Wait, I didn't have a crush on him so it didn't matter...

After the birthday dinner, we all headed over to Jenni's house to hang out. Much to my surprise, in walked Christian! Turns out he had been at work and just got out too late to come to dinner. He wasn't on a date. Phew!

(PS--He worked at Sherwin Williams, so if you ever have paint questions, hit him up. He's a jack of all trades.)

And he sat next to me on the couch. Didn't have a crush... Didn't have a crush...

Since Christian had missed dinner, he was hungry. Jenni suggested he go to In-N-Out. According to her it was exactly 7 minutes away. But he didn't want to go alone. Anyone up for going to In-N-Out? I was, of course.

So Christian and I jumped in his car for a quick trip to In-N-Out. That was the first time we did anything just the two of us.

It was the longest 7-minute drive, 10-minute wait, 7-minute drive of my life.

We had nothing to say to each other. NOTHING.

What a disappointment. Cute or not, I certainly couldn't have a crush on a guy with whom I couldn't even hold a conversation. Even at 21 I was smart enough to know that.

Luckily we kept hanging out in our group of friends and eventually conversation picked up. Eventually, I invited him to the Hollister Rodeo with Jayme's family. Technically Lenessa did the inviting. "I can't go, but Christian can. Right, Christian?" Thanks, Lenessa.

This time it was over an hour drive to the San Benito Fair Grounds, the entire time we were at the rodeo, and an hour drive home. We talked non-stop. And we've been together ever since.

I guess it paid to give things a second try.

5 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

I'd like to note that I did really want to go to that rodeo and STILL haven't been to any rodeo. It was worth it though. :)

LJ, DC and ML said...

Also, I would like to note publically taht I was not the only one who thought M+C=awesome. Many were in agreement (I don't remember anyone disagreeing). I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

madichan said...

I am really, really trying to imagine you and Christian being together for more than 30 seconds and having nothing to say to each other. I am failing.

Jules said...

How sweet! Thank you for this post Molly!

Jenni said...

Thank goodness for In N Out and Survivor. Bringing people together.