Sunday, December 19, 2010

meet baby liam

(Picture by my sister, Ashley)


Liam Colby made his speedy entrance into the world this morning! All 9 pounds, 6 ounces of him!

I love a good birth story, so here's mine in too much detail (true Molly style):

Friday was my due date. No sign of baby. My doctor stripped my membranes. Still no sign of labor. So on Saturday, I thought I'd take matters into my own hands. If running around a park could work for my sister-in-law, it could work for me. I took Graham out in the jogger and jogged 30 second every 2 minutes...for an hour. Honestly--it felt soooo good to be out in the misty air exercising. I miss it.

My big effort caused a whopping 5 or 6 SUPER mild menstrual cramps, and that was that. Bleh.



This morning I woke up to pee around 4:50 and realized I had a mild contraction. When another came within 10 minutes, I set up the laptop by the couch (my bed as of late) and started tracking the contractions. 20 minutes later, I realized they were coming every 5 minutes and lasting 2 1/2 minutes each time. So I called my sister and woke up Christian.

Within a half hour, Ashley showed up to stay with Graham, and the contractions were coming every 2 1/2 minutes. While Christian ran around getting a few last-minute things, I listened to my Hypnobabies* tracks while trying to relax. The contractions were so frequent and long that they barely left me enough time in between to pull my sweat pants only halfway up or grab my wallet and only start looking for my insurance card or mumble something quickly to Christian.



We got to the hospital at 6:30 (SO glad we just moved down the street). Christian answered all the questions while I ignored the world with my ear buds in.

3 or 4 contractions after telling the nurse I wanted to try for a natural birth, I thought "screw it" and told Christian to go tell someone I wanted an epidural. I think I thought things would move slowly like Graham's birth. I obviously wasn't paying attention.



They moved me to the delivery room and a nurse was preparing my IV while the anesthesiologist set up what he needed for the epidural. Before the nurse even had time to put in the IV, I had a strong contraction and grunted like a cave man as my entire abdomen pushed downward. Everyone in the room stopped and looked at me.

The doctor quickly checked me and I heard them say (over my headphones) "She's complete! Next time you want to push, just go ahead and push!" What???

{I was actually really relieved to find out it was too late to get the epidural. I had wanted to go natural. Deep down the pain relief sounded nice, but I was dreading dealing with the side effects like the shaking. Good riddance!}

So I pushed!!

And it was seriously such a relief to push. It was a way better than trying to relax through contractions.

Ah, the pushing. There was no point when I thought I'd die. No "ring of fire." I didn't yell at anyone. I wasn't even uphappy or in that much pain. Not bragging, just telling it like it was (and incredibly grateful it was what it was). It was so fast it was just exciting. At one point I really wanted the neanderthal grunting to stop for a second so I could turn to Christian and let him know I felt fine (in case he was worrying about me). But the grunting isn't exactly voluntary at that point, so I just grunted away and kept pushing. I was just in shock that I could feel the baby coming out the first time I pushed!
At 7:31am, after only 2 or 3 long pushes (and only 2 1/2 hours after my first contraction), I had this little guy on my chest. Correction: I had this HUGE baby on my chest.

It was nothing short of amazing, and I am in love.



*Note on Hypnobabies for those who are curious: It's a self-hypnosis natural childbirth method. I used it for Graham and it got me through 6 hours of Pitocin (at which point I opted for an epidural). It obviously really helped this time, too. Just when I'd get to the point where I wanted to writhe in pain, it would say something about releasing or about the pressure moving the baby down to where it needed to be, and I was able to relax and make it through the contraction. I barely made a peep until the big grunt, which I think is part of what surprised the nurses and doctor. The nurse even asked me multiple times after the birth what it was I had been listening to. If the birth hadn't been so fast, I may not have made it through with just the Hypnobabies, but I'm glad I did!

30 comments:

Hilary said...

Amazing. Congratulations. U make me want to try to a natural birth. Although ....I really loved the epidural.

katie said...

You are amazing! Congrats. I'm so happy for you and family. What a sweetie ;)

madichan said...

Holy. Crap. Two and a half hours?! Guess you've evened things out with Julie.

Super excited for you, Molly, and looking forward to meeting the newest member of your family!

Dyan said...

Isn't it weird that it feels better to push during a contraction than relax? I was super surprised by that. I am happy things went smoothly and quickly...I am hoping to have a birth story just like yours:)

Amy Carter said...

So awesome! That's the best birth story ever. And cute pics of you and the big boy. He makes Graham look so old! Ivan says congrats too.

nicole said...

such good news! good job molly!!

Ashley said...

This story is incredible! You must be made to have babies! How crazy that you had him only one hour after arriving at the hospital . . . I'm glad you were close to the hospital and that Ashley was fast! This guy could've been a home birth, which apparently you would have handled fine! The grunting is funny--but way better than screaming!

Jaimi said...

Congrats Molly! I love a good birth story and am always so amazed how different everyone's experience is. My second came after 12 hours of contractions vs 24 with my first.

I still can't believe Graham is younger than Waverly and you just had another baby and already blogged about it! You are super woman. Good luck and we hope to see you around Mountain View soon!

Dr. aafb said...

Congratulations!!!! I too wanted to go natural on the first and didn't quite make it. This now gives me hope that it can happen on the next one. So happy for you guys!

Dana said...

That is so cool! I am so happy for you guys. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

whitney said...

yay!! nice work molly! i'm so impressed! he's so darling! and i love that he already has chubby cheeks... :)

Julie Laughlin said...

you rock molly!

Jenna said...

Great story! Great job Molly! You are amazing. He is such a BIG and handsome boy!xoxo

Chelle said...

WOW Molly, nine lbs??? You are one tough woman. :) I'm so glad he came out quickly for you! And you look awesome! You will LOVE having two--when they get to the point that they love to play with each other and giggle together...there is nothing better than that.

Holley Williamson said...

Wow! I thought he looked like a big baby! Great story, you got me beat, 4 hours was my shortest, but I was only at the hospital for an hour and hated having the all natural birth. I wanted SOME kind of drugs (never had an epidural) but it was hard for me to relax in between contractions and my babies' heads are always so big! Glad it went so well for you. I'm so happy for you! Your little family is growing!

LJ, DC and ML said...

Yay, yay, yay! You are a rockstar, and little Liam is so cute.

Crystal - Prenatal Coach said...

Wow, amazing story! Thank you for sharing!

Julianne said...

Yeah, pushing is definitely the most fun part of a natural birth. Welcome to the world, baby Liam!

Erica said...

Congrats!! He's adorable!!

Veeda said...

I'm so proud of you. Most amazing birth ever. I'm so glad the hypnobabies scripts worked for you and everything went the way you wanted. Congrats! You look beautiful.

Jenni said...

Yay! I'm glad everything went so well and I'm excited to meet Nutter Budder!

Amy and Arthur said...

What a great story!! You made me laugh! Welcome to the world Liam. Congrats you guys!!!

Ella said...

What a great birth story! So glad you've got your little guy with you safe and sound.

Melanie Sharp said...

Yay! Your birth story was awesome, Molly. I love it! Congrats on that sweet baby. Enjoy the baby euphoria/hibernation.

Jeni said...

Holy cow!! Congrats Molly, what a great story. So glad it went well and everyone is happy and healthy.

Kerri said...

I had to wait until I had enough time to sit down and read your story uninterrupted, but it was SO GREAT and so many clifhangers, I BREEZED through it, couldn't put it down, addictive like Twilight. I read it as fast as your labor seemed. Wow!!

And how about that moment when you saw Graham again after Liam was born...did he seem like SUCH A BIG BOY all of a sudden? That was one of my favorite moments...my baby Carter walked in as such a big boy -- whoa. did you feel that way too?

Tamra said...

He's adorable. And I love the story. I'm also a little jealous. I wanted to go natural, too. Instead I got 3 C-section babies. Oh well. :)

Braden and Cheri said...

thank you for the totally entertaining birth story. Braden and I fully enjoyed it, grunting and all!! Congratulations!!

amandanbo said...

oh my! i can't believe he is here! congrats on another gorgeous boy!!!

Em said...

Oh my gosh! I totally haven't checked your blog in a while!
CONGRATULATIONS! Your little Liam is gorgeous!

Isn't hypnobirthing amazing? I read The Mongan Method and those breathing techniques saved my life, they really did. I wish I could say I was as calm as you were throughout, but I screamed like a banshee right before I delivered. Way to go, mama!