Tuesday, October 12, 2010

lake tahoe

We escaped to Tahoe last weekend. It may have been a quick trip, but it was perfect.

Our main purpose in heading up to Tahoe was to snag a used bike trailer from our favorite bike shop up there. Not that we've bought much there, but the owner is really helpful. They sell their rental bikes and trailers at the end of each season, and these were a pretty good price (and just plain cute).

Graham even got a helmet. Luckily once it's on, he forgets about it. Phew! Here he is trying one on at the bike shop.


After buying the trailer, we spent some time on the playground. Graham loves the playground!



Christian compared his hand to the muddy bear paw prints on the way back to the car.


Then we all napped. Ahhhhh.

Then we hopped on our bikes (and in our trailer) and rode (slowly--I am in my 3rd trimester) down the bike path to the Ehrman Mansion beach to watch the thunderstorm over south shore.



It was practically tropical. Warm, distant storm with lightening and thunder, calm water, so quiet, and no one around but the ducks (and seagull).




We may or may not have fed the birds... Graham may or may not have eaten sand...


We watched the storm get closer and closer until we decided it was time to ride home.

As we pushed our bikes back up the sand to the bike path, the wind hit without warning. Pine needles started falling like rain. And then rain started falling like rain.

I rode my bike all the way up the hill (amazing what you can do when a storm is threatening), and by the time we were half way home...

it...

started...

to...

hail.

Wind, lightning, thunder, downpour, AND hail.

Fun!

We rode a little faster than my pregnant self should have, and we screamed and laughed the entire way back. Hail hurts! Needless to say, no one else was dumb enough to be on the trail.

I think Graham just had no idea what was going on, because when we got back, he was completely soaked but still sucking on his pacifier like it was nothing.

Nothing a warm sinkful of water couldn't fix.


We spent the evening listening to the thunder, drinking hot chocolate, and reading our books. I went to sleep at 9pm.

Pure bliss.

(Then we ditched the rain and spent Sunday at Ian and Kitty's house. Perfect way to end the weekend.)

8 comments:

Erica said...

CUTE PG pic at the end there!! How much was your trailer, if I may ask? I've been wanting one for a long time.. but I'm way too cheap to buy one new, and so far anyone who's sold one here on our craigslist has been asking more than I want to pay! Haha.

Molly said...

Erica--We got a used Trek GoBug trailer for $150. They actually don't make them anymore, so technically we won't be able to get any accessories for it (like the weather shield, which would have come in handy...). I've heard the slightly older Burleys are actually better than the brand new models. And Chariots are awesome but ridiculously expensive. (I apologize for any spelling errors here. I'm using my TV as a computer monitor and it's so far away I can't even read what I'm typing...)

Carbonneau said...

graham must forget about his helmet just like his mom. How far into the bath was graham b4 you remembered you had it on? ;)
LOVE the pic of the 3 of you on the beach!

Chris said...

Even though I was familiar with the week-end story, it's so nice to be refreshed with wonderful photos. I'm looking forward to being at the cabin again soon (is only to close it for the winter). I doubt that my dad could have foreseen the lasting pleasure this cabin would bring to so many family members and friends over the past 60 years since he built it.

LJ, DC and ML said...

Woohoo! What a fun storm, and beautiful!

Molly said...

Kati--Good point! I took my helmet off right after. We pulled him out of the wet trailer, stripped him of his soaking wet clothes, and stuck him in the sink before we had a chance to do anything else.

Jenni said...

Oh, little Graham looks all grown up in the bike trailer. And cute as ever!

Kerri said...

Wow, that trailer is WAY cooler than the $15 Cheri picked up from me in MN (thanks Ri!) But mine didn't come with the thunderstorm attachment...I may or may not have paid extra for that.

SO glad to see these great pics of Graham :)