Thursday, September 9, 2010

back to work and then some

{Post coming soon with lots of pictures of our Utah and Tahoe trip. I know you're all sick of pure text on this blog...}

Thank you, 24-hour flu, for ridding me of the extra pounds I gained while in Utah and Tahoe. And that's about all I'll thank you for. You sucked.

Moving on.

I'm back at work. Being productive. Feeling good. Gearing up for starting my night job again. I wasn't going to do it. I told myself that if Christian didn't have a job by the start of the new school year, I would just have to give up teaching English at night. I love it, but really--who can work full time, teach ESL at night, miss a 10-month old at home, AND be in their last trimester of pregnancy? Certainly not me.

Okay, okay. If anyone can handle it, it's probably me. I don't mean that to sound pompous in any way--I'm just being realistic. I'm good at doing way too much. Remember when I was on bed rest and cherished the fact that I wasn't overextending myself. Yeah. That was nice, and I'll remember it fondly.

The truth is, I just keep hoping Christian will land a great job and I can keep my teaching position. I mean, I didn't get a Master's degree for nothing. Teaching is what I want to do. The Fall session of my class goes from mid-September to mid-November. That's 2 months of teaching then a winter break until mid-January (during which I will adjust to life with 2 kids). And maybe, just maaaaaybe, this economy will throw us a bone and Christian will find a job during that time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I was feeling great about this decision. Really, I came to the conclusion that I'm not doing it for the money. I'm doing it because I want to teach.

But then Ella had to go and point out everything I've been missing by teaching, and working full time, then the whole morning-sickness apathy period, then bed rest, and now teaching again.

My friends.

Read this wonderful post on Ella's blog. She doesn't even know many of the girls out here, but even she can tell that they are gems. (Not to mention she refers to Maren's "How they do it" blog series, which I highly recommend you all read.) Ella hit the nail on the head: these girls are amazing, and I'm lucky enough to call them my friends.

It's true, Ella. There are some awesome girls out here. Girls I never see. Girls I would LOVE to hang out with. Ella--you can move out here and you would fit quite nicely into the list of awesome friends I never see!

I'm not complaining. I have a good job. No, I have TWO good jobs. I like what I do. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything, and unfortunately set work hours means that time with friends falls by the wayside. That's life.

Until life calms down for me, at least I have their blogs to inspire me, right?

5 comments:

mj said...

Oh, miss molly (i always call you that. weird? people always call me miss maren). anyway...miss molly...we wish you were home too. but...if it makes you feel any better, i never see anyone either. leah's way good at eating sand, but she's also good at being at school, so we never get to go to park day or play dates. ugh. there's always christmas break.

Molly said...

Oh! You reminded me of something I was going to mention. I think everyone thinks that everyone else gets to hang out all the time, and it's just not true. I know that even the ladies who stay at home, or even those who have only one job, don't see each other as much as they would like. Christmas break sounds lovely.

Julie Laughlin said...

seriously post some pics of graham already! it's been too long! oh and some of you and christian too - if you must. :)

Ella said...

So much to say. First, I'm glad that things are going well enough with your pregnancy that you aren't on bed rest anymore. Second, you are definitely one that can handle all that you're handling! Because...as I've mentioned, you're amazing. Third, it's true, work or no work it's hard to get out with friends. Wait, that was in reference to the comments. Fourth, sorry to point out the awesomeness of you're friends you aren't seeing enough of. Fifth, I think you should schedule time with your girlfriends, even if it's months away, because it's fun to know there's a day up ahead when you'll get to be together. Sixth, that's it! Seventh, wait I thought of something! I hope and pray Christian can find a job!

Kerri said...

i'm currently sporting the "apple juice only" flu diet...hoping for similar results. And yes, it's hard for me to get out with friends, too, because my priority has to be to my kids and what will be good for them.