Monday, September 20, 2010

autumn

The older I get, the more I'm convinced this is the best time of the year. I used to think Spring was the best time. Perhaps that's because I lived on the edge of the countryside and could see the hills turn green and our garden burst to life. Now I mostly just see a parking lot, the train, and my cubicle. Perhaps if I move back to the country, Spring will take the #1 spot again. Until then, Autumn has a firm hold on me.



What I love about Autumn:

1. The weather cooling down. Wind. Rain. The air. You can feel it.

2. The colors. Liquid Amber and Chinese Pistache trees turning bright red.

3. Boots and long-sleeved shirts.

4. Pumpkins! Gourds! Autumn leaves!

5. Anything made with pumpkin. Cookies, cakes, bread. You name it.

6. The smell of apple cider. I don't need to drink it. I just like to smell it.

7. My birthday!

8. Christian's birthday!

9. Graham's birthday!

10. Halloween candy.

11. Thanksgiving feasts. I don't need any turkey. Give me yams, rolls, and jello. Mmmmm.

Today I went on a little walk and picked some autumn leaves to hang in my cubicle. This way I can enjoy Autumn from my box.

4 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

Awww, you are so cute. I wants some leaves in my cubbie too.

mj said...

amen.

...and you forgot to mention it's my birthday too. i'll let it slide. i love that we're october friends. we're the coolest.

Chris said...

Autumn has always been my favorite for just the reasons you listed. And thanks for including that photo of our front porch. It's one of my favorites.

The Carters said...

I always like Autumn more than spring at the Hollister house because in spring we had to pull a lot more weeds on Saturday.