Wednesday, August 4, 2010

latest DIY projects

I've gotten a bit done while on house arrest bed rest. If I can't run around doing useful household projects, the least I can do is sit around and cut fabric, right? Would you like to see?

1. Happy Birthday banner/bunting. I already had all the fabric. The only thing I bought was spray adhesive for the letters (too lazy to sew them...maybe some day). My plan is to make little clip-on decorations to go with the birthday theme. The pom poms are on clips. Christian, Graham, and I all have Fall birthdays, so naturally I made some pumpkin clips. Maybe I need to make some new baby decorations for December when baby #2 comes. It will, in fact, be his birth day, so he'll need the banner.




2. Mei Tai baby carrier. While I'd love to buy one of these, we're currently broke, so I'm not allowed to spend money. Instead I decided to make one out of things I already had around the house. This carrier cost me $0. Yep. Free-ninety-free. It is constructed of old slacks, an old baby blanket, leftover fabric from the dress I wore for my sister's wedding, an old sweatshirt (for the padding), and thread and elastic from my sewing box. I used this tutorial but modeled the top after BabyHawk Mei Tais. I added a big pocket and plan to make an Ergo-like hood (I like the idea of elastic sides). Please excuse how awesome I look in the photo below, the fact that I need to practice tying this thing better, and the fact that I have my baby on my back while I'm supposed to be taking it easy on the couch.

FYI--My friend Cheri makes and sells cute Mei Tais and cloth swim diapers if you are interested! The Kitchen Sink Boutique.




3. Maternity dress. I found this blue fabric in the scrap bin at JoAnn's months ago. All rolled up it felt like sweatshirt material. The other day I finally unrolled it and discovered it was a big thin piece perfect for a skirt. I played around a bit and altered an adorable old shirt (that was too small and starting to fall apart), and...voila!



4. Growing a baby. The ultimate DIY project. My belly is getting bigger every day!

13 comments:

Julianne said...

Okay, you're just awesome.

LJ, DC and ML said...

YAY! The dress turned out so cute, hip hip hurray! PS. You can totally cut fabric while laying down so I say its all totally p.c.

Kristen said...

Are you kidding me?? I just can't get over that dress. You are so talented! And you look fantastic. :) Congrats on boy #2!

the Rowleys said...

I love the baby carrier! Very awesome projects, and all from stuff you already have, very thrifty!

Ella said...

What can I say? Somehow you have convinced you are more awesome than I already thought.

Amy Carter said...

wow, that's super impressive. and you're super pregnant!

i think that dress would look cute with a belt/sash.

madichan said...

HOW ADORABLE IS THAT DRESS!?!

Holy crap; I think you're way more productive on bed rest than I am at work.

LKC said...

Wow. I'm so impressed! Well done.

Ashley C. said...

I was going to say the same thing as Amy about the belt/sash! That's a sexy prego dress! You're one hot mama!

The Winkelman's said...

What in the world?! You are crazy amazing and my hero. Wowza.

Ashley said...

Cute, cute belly! You still look so tiny. That baby carrier blows my mind. I can't believe you made it out of a sweatshirt, etc. You are macgyver.

Molly said...

Wow. You guys are giving me a really high self esteem. I should make stuff more often just to hear how amazing I am. ;)

Braden and Cheri said...

WOW!! You are doing so awesome! Your carrier turned out great. I was meaning to tell you more about the differences in the ergo and the mei tai after I saw a friend with an ergo. Let me just say, you're going to love the mei tai. I was not impressed at all by the ergo and actually thought it looked like a huge waste of money. Of course, its all preferences...