Wednesday, August 18, 2010

the blessings of unemployment

Christian was laid off in July of last year. That means it has been over a year since he had full-time employment. Even so, his time out of work has been a blessing to us in many ways:


1. He was able to go to school full time and graduate.

2. He has been able to stay home and take care of Graham. It is nice that we both understand what it is like to stay home full time and what it is like to work full time.

3. We were able to stop having the "Should we move to Alabama for your job?" conversation. I'm glad we're still in California.

4. We were able to get rid of one of our cars since we didn't need to go to two different jobs at the same time.

5. We've gotten much better about not spending money. I think this is a very important skill to have in life.

6. He has had time to help Richard do everything he needs in preparation for his mission.

7. He has been able to watch miss Maisie Lou during the day for our good friends, the Cutlers. (Graham LOVES when his girlfriend comes over.)

8. He has been here to do everything while I've been on bed rest. If he had a full-time job, I would have had to ask my mom and/or everyone I know to come help out for the last 8 weeks.

While it would be nice to have more income and/or for me to get to stay home with Graham, things have worked out well for us. We always knew it would. When Christian called me at work to tell me he had been laid off, we just kind of shrugged and said, "Okay. Sounds good." We know not everyone is in the position to react that way, but we have been lucky and we're grateful.

1 comment:

LJ, DC and ML said...

Good grief, has it been a year already?! You two are the cutest, that's for sure. And yes, I agree with your entire list. ML LOVES her little boyfriend. As if there were any doubt. One of these days we'll need to record their meetings. Hillarious. Little G is better than Elvis Presley.