Friday, July 2, 2010

you know, i'm not a frequent flyer here...

{Do not read this post until you've read the one before it.}

Let's talk about pointless trips to the Emergency Room. Shall we? I think we shall.

Some of you may know that I've had some, well, roadbumps with this pregnancy. Their names are "spotting" and "bleeding." I don't recommend being friends with them during pregnancy. Serious party poopers, those two.

Long story short, they have been my constant companions for the past 4 weeks. Bleh.

After two rather unnerving episodes this week, lots of prayers, and two days of self-imposed bedrest (my doctor's advice of "take it easy" wasn't enough for me), I decided to demand that they at least try to figure out what was going on.

I made the mistake of calling the Kaiser advice nurse line at 9:00pm. All I wanted (insisted, demanded) was that they find me an appointment the next day. I didn't care with whom or where. Just something. Why, oh, why did I call at night? I should have known better. Increased bleeding means they have to see me right away. At 9:30 at night, that means going to the ER. Blasted liability issues. That's the real reason I had to go in.

So off we went to the ER. I was pretty annoyed. And I wasn't very nice to one of the nurses when she told me they wouldn't be able to find out why I was bleeding since the real ultrasound technicians go home at 4. WHY WAS I EVEN THERE, THEN?? Ay yay yay.

3 hours, a blood draw, a quick bedside ultrasound (can't get enough of seeing that baby move!!), and a liter of fluids later, they said, "Well, the baby and you look fine, so we just want you to follow up with your OBGYN tomorrow."

Thanks.

That was all I wanted in the first place.

I would have slapped someone if they hadn't all been so nice. Except for the very last nurse. He came in, gave my some papers, took out my IV, pulled all these little wires off me, mumbled something, and walked out. I still had sticky nodes all over my chest and stomach. Was he coming back to take those off? Was I supposed to get dressed and leave? I waited a minute and said "This is stupid" and pulled off all the sticky nodes and got dressed. A minute later, he opened the door slightly, said, "Oh, you're still here" and quickly closed the door.

Of course I'm still here, buddy! You never said I should leave! You know, I'm not a frequent flyer here. Oh, the frustration.

Sooooo, this morning I went to see my doctor. You know, the original plan. She said even if they did find out what was causing the bleeding, the remedy would be bedrest. So she put me on bedrest.

Sure, the idea of lying around all day doing nothing sounds great. However, staring at your disaster of a house all day and knowing you can't do a thing about it is TORTURE! Absolute torture.

Here's to bedrest.

14 comments:

Julie Laughlin said...

yuck on the bedrest! can we come visit? or are you working? i need to see graham before he starts driving! :)

Ashley said...

This is so scary to me. I'm so glad you are taking the bedrest thing seriously. This hospital stint of mine has just been a reminder about how slow the whole ER/medical/getting answers experience is. There is so much waiting around and my experience has even been a good one I think! So sorry you had the ER experience-but I'm glad you saw the baby moving and doing well! (I still want to call the baby "he" for some reason!)

Erica said...

Yikes, I'll keep you in my prayers! But, in other news - WOW,congrats!! I'm excited for you!!

nicole said...

bummer about bedrest! but no working? maternity leave at 16 weeks would be sweet? congrats!!!

Dr. aafb said...

I too have learned the ways of the ER. Never go to the ER unless you are on the verge of death. It will only be very frustrating. I think bedrest would drive me crazy but whatever you have to do for your little ones, Right?

mj said...

wondered where you were today. this stinks! but...hopefully it means a happy, healthy aufdermauer in 24 weeks (or 2 or 3 weeks sooner).

Emma and Dan said...

Congratulations about the pregnancy! You're amazing to try for another one so soon.

I love seeing your sewing projects and I can't believe how small you are at 16 weeks! Not many people can take pictures of their midsections and post them on a blog just BEFORE announcing they are pregnant. :)

I bled from about 14 weeks until 18 with Kevin. It was torture! Every time I went to the bathroom was like a mini panic attack. I had a couple days here and there of bed rest (luckily I happened to be visiting my parents when the spotting began, so they could take care of Elena for me) and I wasn't allowed to lift ANYTHING over 10 pounds for a few weeks. It all worked out in the end and they NEVER found out what the issue was, but I certainly enjoyed all my extra ultrasounds. :)

Kerri said...

I'm glad that you didn't receive big news at the ER--that would have been terrible. So, on to bed rest. Friends in CA, please pitch in to help with cleaning, food, Graham, entertainment, things to do for her while in bed! Bedrest sounds glamorous until you are there, huh! Is this a precaution just until 20 weeks?

Ally said...

So happy for you & Christian. You guys already made one very handsome little boy, I can't wait to see what comes out of you next! Bedrest sucks, sorry! I had crap with the ER my second time around, I know and feel your anger.

Braden and Cheri said...

Yeah for you! Well, about the baby part. Not yeah about the bedrest part. Having 2 close will be challenging to say the least, but SO rewarding. Just start prepping now for all the comments you'll be getting and think of witty comebacks. This little one will be here before you know it! And HOORAY for Christmas babies!!!!!

Tamra said...

Congrats on pregnancy #2. Sorry about the bedrest, though. Good luck! Can I send you a good book or something?

Molly said...

Thanks, guys!

Julie--Yes! Come visit! I haven't even met Henry! (I'm so ashamed.)

Emma--That makes me feel so much better! And annoys me a little that I was the one to tell my doctor she needed to find out why I was bleeding or put me on bedrest. Sounds like your doc was a little more proactive.

Tamra--No need to send books, but recommendations would be nice! I just read a 550 page book in 2 1/2 days. It has been years (decades) since I read that much.

The Bundys said...

Congrats on the baby - I love that you are having them so close. I would never change having Lando and Jaid close. They are so fun together and entertain each other all the time. I would do all mine that way if it would work. I am super excited for you. Good luck with the bed rest. Lets see...puzzle books, silly puddy, stain glass, and lets see a complicated paint by number.

Veronica Cleverly said...

Bed rest sucks!! I hated it! Hope everything turns out well. Maybe you have my old friend previa.