Monday, July 19, 2010

baby #2 wish list

It's a boy!

We thought maybe, just maaaybe, we would be the ones to break the Carter/Aufdermauer trend and be the first to have one of each. Didn't happen. Looks like the race is on, Veronica/Josh and Ashley/Tyler.

Hurray for little boys! They are going to be such good little friends (either that or I'll force them to get along one way or another). A little girl would have been fun, too, but we'll have to save that for another time. (Christian said today that we're going to keep having kids until he gets a little girl, too. We'll see about that, says the mama who has to grow the kids...)

The awesome thing is that we already have everything we need! Little boy clothes, a stash of cloth diapers, a cradle, and an infant car seat (Big G just graduated to his big boy 3-in-1 car seat).

{Side note: When can I put a kid in a toddler bed? Graham will only be about 17 months by the time Little Bro will need a crib.}


So here is my super long wish list...

#1: Ergo carrier. Only because everyone talks about how great they are and I've gotten sucked in. I saw a lady at the store wearing two kids (of different ages) in Ergos. One in front and one in back. It looked so cool that I wanted to be her. And then I noticed she wasn't wearing shoes. In a store. And it grossed me out. And I didn't want to be her anymore. But I still want the Ergo.

Cheri--I'm counting on you to tell me all about how the Mei Tai compares to the Ergo (other than being way cheaper).



#2: Double stroller. The Bob Duallie was the obvious choice since I love the single version that I have. But then Jaime had to go and tell me how much she loves her Bumbleride Twin. (Thanks a lot, Jaime...) After doing my research, the Bumbleride certainly has better selling points for everyday use, but the Bob is made especially for running. I wish I knew someone who regularly used the Bumbleride for running. I'm suddenly in a predicament. Someday when I'm a stay-at-home mom, I plan to walk (and run) all over the place with these boys, so a good double stroller is a must on my list.

Bob Revolution Duallie

Bumbleride Indie Twin


#3: Another copy of the Baby's Journal from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A doctor I work with bought one for her son 17 years ago and never used it, so she gave it to me hoping I could put it to good use with Graham. I love it. I write all the little things that Graham does, and I want one for all of my kids. Originally published as Le Journal de Bebe in 1914, it is beautiful.


And...um...I think that's it.

Can anyone think of anything else I would need for a second little boy?

13 comments:

mj said...

i love the bob, but i've pushed jaimi's bumbleride around and man is that thing effortless.

Kerri said...

a spoonful of sugar....No, a heap full of chocolate/ice cream/chips and salsa...on hand at all times, a good group of girl friends, and the knowledge that boys and girls are different, so the moms with girls and the moms with boys HAVE to be parenting differently.

Julianne said...

Hurray for boys!

Rach said...

Oh Molly you are in for some super fun times! Really, it is awesome (hard too, but still awesome!)
We kept Ty in his crib til he was almost 2 1/2 and Cam just slept in the pack and play (with the bassinet) and it worked really nicely! That way we could move him in and out of rooms really easily depending on where we wanted him to sleep. But on a side not..I think we are moving to bunk beds once Cam turns two (in a few months) and then we won't need our toddler bed (if you want it)
Also, I don't know if you are a biker...but I absolutely LOVE LOVE my chariot double running stroller. I love it so much. And the best part is that it has the bike attachment so that I (or usually Scott) can take them both on nice long bike rides!

Carbonneau said...

Every kid is different as you know, but Wes was fine going into a toddler bed at 15 mo. Whatever works for you guys will work!

As for a jogging stroller, we have 2. Chris pushes the jogging stroller w/ 2 kids and I push the jogging stroller, that is also a bike trailer, with the other 2, and I think that is WAY better than the regular jogger. First I didn't think the swivel wheel would be such a big difference, but for running it is! Also I love that I can also hook the kids up in the trailer. I don't have a car at home and we go everywhere with the jogger/trailer. My sister has a chariot..pricey, but it turns into ANYTHING. (skis for snow shoeing, bike trailer, jogger, etc...) I would suggest borrowing someone's jogger b4 buying one, especially since I know you will use yours all the time! good luck! so fun! and congrats!!!!!!

Ashley said...

I love that your list is short--that's the blessing of having all boys! Now you take that extra money and buy new clothes for yourself! As for strollers, I bought the world's cheapest double (I don't ever run with my stroller) and loved it but it is totally hashed now. You'll have to let us know what you get and review it for us.

Ashley said...

P.S. I think Charlie was about 20 months when we moved him to the twin bed. It wasn't easy but it worked out after a little adjustment time.

Veronica Cleverly said...

Ah the big kid bed. I am no expert but I think a good rule of thumb is three months before a big event. So if Graham will be 17 months when the baby will need the crib then I would make the transition at 14 months. That will give Graham plenty of time to get used to the bed, the rules that go along with it, and there won't be any or as many harsh feelings about the baby taking over Grahams stuff. A 17 month old can be very protective over what he/she thinks if his/hers.

Savannah moved into her toddler bed at 20 months and she took to it really good. I know that is older than Graham will be and the reason for it wasn't because we needed the crib for another baby. Her little cousin, Ava, showed her how to climb out of the crib so we opted for the safe alternative.

Melanie Sharp said...

We moved Noah onto a twin mattress on the floor when he was pretty young (I want to say he was more like 22 mos, though) and he did great. Then when he got a little bigger we put the mattress on the frame.

Congrats on baby boy #2! And I love my Ergo and my stroller, but it's not a running stroller, it's a great everyday stroller (Maclaren double) since it folds down to nothing and fits through doorways while still being side-by-side which I like. Anyway, if your heart's not set on a double jogger per se, but you want a solid stroller (I got mine for $180 on craigslist) it's a gem.

Mer said...

Congrats Molly!

Let me know how you end up liking the Ergo. We've been trying to find a baby carrier that works for us without much success and that one is next on my list.

Dr. aafb said...

Congrats on baby boy #2! You're in for a fun ride. Good luck! I love my Ergo!!!

Jonathon and Sarah said...

We LOVE our Ergo. It is comfy to wear, and Andrew begs to be in it... seriously! The kid goes nuts (in a good way) when we say he can get in the Ergo. It is hysterical, but so awesome for us.

April said...

We have one of those plastic car beds. I don't think I would have bough it- not a fan of big plastic things- but I'm really glad someone gave it to us as Caleb was SO excited about sleeping in a big boy bed he could care less that Joshy was in the crib.
It's just sitting in storage if you want to make use of it. It's nice because it's low to the ground and the plastic edge comes up high enough they don't accidentally roll out. Caleb was also super good and wouldn't get out of it on his own so that helped.
Since you are going to be a one car family you might want to consider the bike chariot/jogger option. If our Burley trailer had been a 2004 instead of a 2003 I could have purchased the running wheel attachment. Instead they only had the tiny little stroller wheel. But it would be nice to have one less piece of bulky baby equipment.