Saturday, June 26, 2010

project fix my clothes: shirt #1

I love this shirt. I hate the little flutter sleeves. I can't even call them sleeves. They are little flaps that stick straight out from the shoulder. One wrong move or the slightest breeze will flip them straight up, where they prefer to stay. So I never wear the shirt.


I looked at it last night and thought about how I could add real cap sleeves. I didn't want to put some other fabric on it. That would look cheap. Then I realized that the little flutter flaps were probably made of quite a bit of fabric since they were so gathered. I took out the seams, ironed it flat, and sure enough--there was enough fabric to make cap sleeves that fit all the way around the arm opening.

I also noticed when I took the "before" picture that a button was missing from one of the front pockets. My solution? Cut the other button off, too. Way simpler than trying to find a matching button.

Voila! I love my shirt again.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow, very clever! It looks great and definitely better! I also can't wear those type of sleeves, or puff sleeves--they make me look like a linebacker! Your clothes-purging project sounds fun.

Dyan said...

You are amazing. I should really follow your lead and "fix" some of my clothes.

mj said...

love it. and we're cleaning out tons today...i found a headband i made two of last fall...you really liked it. it's a bunch of gray fabric gathered off to one side. so i'm saving it for you. i'll bring it to church tomorrow. :)

Veronica Cleverly said...

I think it looks cuter that way!

webster said...

super cute! You are good!

Mer said...

Look at you! What a great project!

Molly said...

Thanks, guys!

Maren--I know EXACTLY what headband you are talking about. I loved it! And yes, I would love your extra one. Hurray!

mj said...

and p.s.

now you have an extra button in case one of the others falls off. even more perfect. :)

madichan said...

Wow; amazing job! And inspiring. I too have a pile of clothes that need updating, but my solution is to put them in a box on the floor of my closet. You know, so they don't get in the way :)

Baldersons said...

Way to go Molly...super cute!

Dr. aafb said...

You are so crafty. Have any ways to make clothes fit that are still too small post baby? Or how about ways to make my butt not so big? I know, I know Running + decreased desserts might do the trick but I was looking for some magic solution.