Tuesday, April 6, 2010

update on the mirror

No, I haven't done anything to the mirror yet. But I decided not to go with the frames idea. It sounded good in my head, but I realized it will likely look like crap in real life. My mom suggested that it might look "cluttered." That word made me cringe. Like I need one more cluttered thing in my home right now. Bleh.

SO. The frames idea is no more. Instead I will go back to my original idea of using salvaged wood from Whole House Building Supply & Salvage in East Palo Alto. I didn't want to put so much time and effort into building a frame for a mirror with scratches, but I've decided to paint on the mirror as well, covering the scratches.

You likely won't see the fruits of my labor for quite some time, but the wheels in my head are turning.

Too bad I 1) know nothing about cutting wood and/or making a HUGE frame, and 2) will have to make it in my parking spot and endure the wrath of our nosy apartment manager.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

really--talk to Cheri about making a huge frame. she could give you some tips. painting on the mirror is a GREAT idea!

Ashley said...

Can't wait to see it! I just finished a (relatively) tiny frame project and it was so hard (just painting frames) that I am officially throwing in the do-it-yourself towel. I will now be paying D-I-Y like you to do it for me!

Murphy Mania said...

There are a few people in our ward that either own, or have access to wood working tools that would make your job a LOT easier. Ron Packard has a whole shed & all the necessary tools dedicated to woodwork and Mike Jacobsen's dad is a carpenter? or something similar and has a shop with all of that stuff.