Thursday, April 1, 2010

music

So a couple of my friends are doing this "30 days of writing" challenge. More power to them. I have no desire to commit to that, but I'm so excited to see what they write. Today was Day 1, and Maren's post about her favorite song(s) over the years had me laughing in my chair (can't really roll on the floor at work). Why? Because I realized her post was SO different than what I would have written.

I love Maren. Seriously. I love that girl. You would, too. In fact, you should get to know her. While we get along swimmingly (what does that mean anyway?), I decided our playlists would not. And this inspired me to copy her first-of-30-days post.

Let me just start by saying I never liked "boy bands," except for my New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice tapes back in the day. I was too young to know any better.

I'm also not a big fan of newer country music. Sure, I listened to country for a bit. But we're talking Garth Brooks style country. Thunder Rolls. Chattahoochee. Sold (Ruby Red Lips Blond Hair Blue Eyes...). Certainly NOT Shania Twain. Man, she annoyed (ahem, annoys) me. I could do without Faith Hill, too. Rascal Flats? Don't even know what they sing.

Music from the padres? Those would be the records in the dining room cabinet. The Mamas and The Papas. Limelighters. The Beatles. Peter Paul and Mary. Simon and Garfunkel. My dad loves Ray Charles, but I don't remember him playing it while we were growing up.

The Beastie Boys were a staple music in our family. Lots of music from the older siblings. Depeche Mode. Erasure. The Cars. Howard Jones. Talking Heads. INXS. The Cure. The Police. Violent Femmes. Radiohead.

Then there was a little Edie Brickel, Tracy Chapman, and the like. I liked them, but I don't like most girlie singers. (Not that Tracy Chapman is girlie. She sounds like a man.) Call me musically sexist. However, I did like Frente, No Doubt, and Blondie. I'd rather gag than listen to Sarah McLachlan or anyone like her.

Then there were the early high school years when we listened to a lot of Creedence Clearwater Revival. Sublime. Wu-Tang Clan. Bob Marley. (What a list. No, I never did marijuana.) The Clash. Cindi Lauper. Weezer. Rancid. Rage Against the Machine. Goldfinger. And a little Cyprus Hill from Amy. That's also when I found a Social Distortion tape in one of our cars. Left there, I'm sure, by an older sibling. I still love Social D.

Once I started going to the young adult ward (church congregation of young adults) in Cupertino, I got to know Aaron, who made mix tapes (CDs) for everyone. For this I am eternally grateful. New Order. The Verve. Oasis. The Smiths. Suede. Travis. Starsailor. Keane. Coldplay. Beck (who I saw in concert BY MYSELF during college because I didn't seem to know anyone at BYU cool enough to go with me).

And in my life with Christian I have added to the list. Kaiser Chiefs. The Bravery. Snow Patrol. The Killers. The Kooks. Santogold. Death Cab for Cutie.

Today, I'm in the mood for the artists in bold.

Tell me. Did I forget anything?

Edits:

Yes. I forgot Muse, The Shins, and Rilo Kiley! Saw Editors live and wasn't impressed. Maybe I'll give them a second chance.

LOVE Hip Hop. But more of the underground style. Love the old stuff like Tribe Called Quest. Can't stand that Soulja Boy, Walk it Out, and Blow the Whistle crap. Christian and I don't see eye to eye on this.

4 comments:

mj said...

oh man. our playlists are not friends.

you might have been chummy with my brother, though. sounds like the music blasting from behind his closed bedroom door to me. your high school playlist gives me a headache.

and i still like you a lot.

madichan said...

Dang. You are musically sexist. :)

And I am totally gonna bring some more hip hop into your life.

The Shins? Muse? The Editors? Sufjan Stevens?

Amy Carter said...

for having such a bad memory, you remembered a lot of music from our childhood. except dad did play ray charles a lot. you must have blocked that one out. love that i had such an influence! i totally forgot about frente. wonder if i still have that album.

great female artists you should try: beth orton, cat power

Molly said...

I bought the Frente album twice. Lost it once. Then I left the next copy on the top of my car before driving home from Utah. I gave up after that.

I will check out Beth Orton and Cat Power!