Thursday, April 1, 2010

girls that rock

After reading my previous post, Madika came to my desk and said, "You really are musically sexist!"

It's not that I don't like female singers. It's just that a lot of them don't make the music I like. Hmmm. Does that sound any better?

So you out there in the blogosphere. I need your help. I need suggestions for female singers. (Christian says, "Ones that don't suck.")

I need girls that ROCK!

I love Rilo Kiley. I LOVE "Moneymaker," but the content of the song is, well, less than ideal. It's just that she sings it so well! She should rock more.

Love Santogold. She rocks. Some of her songs are too, um, techno/electronic (?) for me, but some fit just right.

Ashley has been telling me for years to get Tegan and Sara. I just keep forgetting. I'll do it!

Who do you recommend??

9 comments:

Jenni said...

I tend to think that I don't really like girl singers either. But, then I go through my library and see groups and think, "oh yeah. their lead singer is a girl." So, here are a few girls that I think rock: ABBA, The Cardigans, Garbage, The Carpenters (I know that might be a stretch for some, but Lenessa will agree), Jem, and here's one that I just discovered that I'm really liking: Coeur de Pirate. She's Quebecois, so you have to appreciate the French lyrics (Please note that I left out all the rocker 80's chicks, but I can add those in if you want).

Tamra said...

OK, I'm not sure this is a ROCK band, but I like them a LOT and no one seems to know about them: Eisley. Her voice is nice to listen to, and her songs are all clean, and my kids like her, too. (Try out the songs Memories and Sight to Behold.) This might be a group that has to grow on you, though.

Also, I love Evanescence and Metric. And those 2 do ROCK (though Metric is a little more electronica).

Amy Carter said...

didn't you used to listen to shakira?

Molly said...

Hurray! Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Tamra--I just looked up Eisley. I like them!

Ashley C. said...

Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Keisha Cole, Rose Melberg,

Ashley said...

Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson . . . and the best are country singers but I know you don't go there!

Tamra said...

Yea! I'm glad you like Eisley. They're my fav.

Dr. aafb said...

Too many to mention!!! Rachel yamagata, Fiest, Regina Spektor- maybe not ROCK enough. Yeah, yeah, yeahs- that's it.

Em said...

Love Dr. aafb's suggestions!

But if you love hip-hop, check out The Coup, Bus Driver, and Zion I. Warning though--they have some extremely explicit lyrics, but if you are a true hip-hop fan this shouldn't be a big surprise to you.

And as far as females, have you tried The Sounds or The Veronicas or Damone?