Friday, April 16, 2010

de-cluttering tip

From a post I found called 15 Great Decluttering Tips. Check out the rest, but this one tickled my fancy.

"The One-Year Box. Take all your items that you [are] unsure about getting rid of (e.g. “I might need this someday…”), put them in a box, seal it and date it for 1 year in the future. When the date comes, and you still didn’t need to open it to get anything, donate the box WITHOUT OPENING IT. You probably won’t even remember what there was in the box."

I have a better idea. Take all your items you are unsure about getting rid of. Put them in a box, seal it, date it for 1 year in the future, then immediately take it to Goodwill and get rid of it. If you're putting it in a box and sealing it, trust me--you won't remember what's in it and you won't need it. Ha!

3 comments:

Kerri said...

yeah, but what about the boxes of stuff we've moved around with for 7 years that are STILL unused...don't you think SOMEDAY??? what are all y'alls' take on saving college text books?

Lindsay said...

In Sunday school today (you were in Primary so I will fill you in) we were counseled to make our home a place of order and to unclutter our life. I got home and told Pat that out of the entire list of things we should be doing, that is probably the one I struggle with most! I liked though that he said "unclutter your life" because I swear it's when I'm crazy busy that my house just falls to pieces. So maybe if we unclutter our lives then we will be able to unclutter our homes? Maybe...

As for college text books...sell them!!! I recently sold a bunch of mine on half.com (after not touching them for many years) and I got a pretty penny for some and just a dollar or two for others, but in the end our account had over $200 AND we have less junk on our shelves. Double bonus!

Courtney said...

I reeeeally need to do this! I hate how every inch of free space in our apartment is instantly filled up with junk. But it's SO hard to get rid of stuff sometimes! I'm a little bit of a pack rat, I'll admit it, but I do NOT want to move across the country next year with a trailer full of crap I don't need!