I can't seem to think of anything but reupholstering my couch and chair. I tend to get this way when I come up with a new project.
Let me refresh your memory. Three years ago, I purchased an awesome couch and chair off craigslist for $75 total.
Whoever upholstered them didn't do a very good job. Not horrible, but not so good either. I normally advise people to admire them from a distance. And it drives me CRAZY that the pattern isn't centered and doesn't match up and doesn't even go in the same direction on the two pieces! Oh, and the back of the couch isn't even finished. It's more of a saggy patchwork mess.
Lately I have been wanting to change up my living room, but these pieces dictate the color scheme. I don't want to get rid of them, because I love their shape. So the only alternative is to reupholster. Right?
Being the list-driven person that I am, let's make a list of the pros and cons of this project. Cons first so we can end on a positive note.
1. I'm really good at starting projects. Finishing them? Not so much. This should be enough to deter me, but it never has in the past so why now? Remember the corduroy slipcover my mom helped me make for our other couch? She did most of the work. It only took us about 5 or 6 days to make...over the span of a year and a half. Mom--I promise I won't make you come do this project for me! (But if you wanted to come help a little, I wouldn't stop you...)
2. The innards of these pieces are probably more of a disaster than the upholstery job. Have you ever sat on them? It's an adventure. Could be pricey and time consuming to redo everything.
3. If I'm stripping the fabric, I'll probably want to fix the wood finish as well. (If you give a mouse a cookie...) Who in the world has time for that? Besides, I don't even know how.
4. Stains don't show up on the current upholstery. Stains would absolutely show up on whatever new fabric I chose. I'm sure of it. Not to mention the current fabric is pretty cool. I'm just tired of the colors.
5. I don't have time. Perhaps I should say that again. I don't have time.
1. I have confidence in myself. I'm pretty darn sure I can do something like this. Even if I didn't do a perfect job, they wouldn't look any worse than they do now!
2. I would finally be able to make whatever bright colored pillows I wanted. I wouldn't have to search and search for something that matched the red/gold couch.
3. Reupholstering actually sounds easier to me than making the corduroy slipcover for my couch. Don't correct me if I'm wrong! Ignorance is bliss.
4. How cool would it be to have furniture you upholstered yourself??
5. It would be a good excuse to go buy a cool upholstering book.
6. So that you guys could all ooooh and aaaah at how cool I am. My ultimate goal in life is to be blog-cool. Buahaha.
7. I love the idea of printing my own fabric. Plain upholstery fabric is quite cheap and the possibilities are endless.
See? The pros outweighed the cons. Quantity not quality, of course, but who's really paying attention to that anyway?
3 years ago