Thursday, March 4, 2010

rotting vegetables


What happens when you don't clean out your vegetable drawer for, say, a few weeks?

You find that your veggies are swimming in an unknown liquid.

The culprit? A cucumber. Fully decomposed. It was mush. Cucumber juice sloshing around the bottom of the bin.

What I'll bet you didn't know is that decomposed cucumber actually smells wonderful! Like all those cucumber-melon beauty products. Seriously. I would know. I just mopped up decomposed cucumber from my fridge and it smelled like a spring day. Birds chirping. Flowers blooming. Some little girl running through tall grass. You know, that kind of scene.

So I guess if you're going to have rotting vegetables in your fridge, I'd highly recommend you choose cucumbers.

5 comments:

Ashley C. said...

Uhhh, none of my rotting vegetables have ever smelled like a spring day. Poop, maybe, but not blooming flowers.

The Winkelman's said...

Fun! I'll have to try it sometime. :)

madichan said...

Can I just tell you that this EXACT thing happened at our old house. Despite there being 5 people living there, all of us immediately knew who the culprit was (a certain husband who shall remain nameless). "The Liquid Cucumber in the Vegetable Drawer" will be a story that my housemates and I will continue to tell until the end of time.

Amy Carter said...

how funny, i just cleaned out my fridge yesterday after weeks of neglect. except mine was all leftovers in various containers. and it did NOT smell good.

Molly said...

Yep. I'm convinced that cucumber is the ONLY rotting ANYTHING that smells good.

Madika--Well you tell that certain husband who shall remain nameless that he's not alone. :)