Wednesday, February 3, 2010

i loves me some ESL

I'm teaching again. Love it. Love my class. They come consistently. They fill the classroom. They laugh. They make jokes. They pay attention (okay, mostly). They ask questions. They put forth effort. They make my day.

{My students doing group work. Or just talking and laughing.}



Every day I ask them for phrases they have heard since the last class that they may not understand or know how to say correctly. Sometimes it's amusing for all of us to try to figure out what someone heard. For example. Today we had "rai-way" and we figured out it was "Right away." And "aiothiso" ended up being "I don't think so." It might take us a while, but we always figure out the phrases.

Then we ended up talking about clothes v. close v. closed v. closet. Poor guys. Learning English must seriously suck.

Remind me not to ask students what their favorite food is. One new shy student answered "Mole" (pronounced mo-ley). Of course the class all laughed, because they think my name is pronounced "Mole." He was pretty embarrassed.

Two of my students are pregnant. I'm so excited for them. They threw me a class baby shower, so I'll be throwing one for them, too.

One of my students has been playing the guitar for 20 years. He doesn't have one, but he plays his friend's. Today he pulled out a piece of paper to show me the lyrics he wrote down for the song he's learning. "And I Love Her" by the Beatles. I told him I'd bring in my guitar so he could play for the class. That poor guitar needs some action.

Sometimes I just want to stay home at night and not teach. By the end of class, I'm always glad I went.

7 comments:

Julia Wade said...

i am so so glad that you have found something that you love and that is as fulfilling as it is, molly. so fantastic.

Braden and Cheri said...

Hey Molly, I don't know if you live in the Oakland area anymore, but if you do, you should stop by the Oakland Visitor's Center and say hi to Braden's Aunt and Uncle who are the directors there (the Smiths). They would LOVE to meet you!

Rach said...

that is really fun. really. I would love to help or something. I used to teach english and I totally miss it. i bet you are the most amazing teacher!

Ashley said...

It is so obvious that you love your students. You really sound like the world's best teacher. I can't believe you are throwing your students baby showers. That is beyond nice.

Kaylynn said...

That mole-mole part was hilarious! So cute. I need to come to your class just to learn Spanish.....or maybe hire you as a tutor....

Sally Teeple said...

I'm glad to hear you're teaching again Molly! It sounds like you have great students indeed.

brooklyn said...

so glad you love teaching! i'm envious and miss it! so funny that you're mole.

i came across this last night for my classes and wished i would have had it when i was teaching. you probably already know these since your command of the english language is superior to mine. i found myself always saying "it's an exception" or "i know, it makes no sense" too often. well, i feel bad now, because it turns out there are some rules that i wasn't aware of...

http://dyslexia.org/spelling_rules.shtml