Thursday, February 11, 2010

everything will be okay

The word "okay" came up twice this past weekend. I often keep these kinds of thoughts to myself because they seem so personal, but today it seemed selfish, so I thought I'd share.

At a church conference meeting on Sunday (where leaders of our church speak to a gathering of the local congregations), the speaker made a very simple statement: that if you stay close to the spirit everything will be okay in your life.

I'm an optimist, but I'm also a realist. I know that things aren't always okay. Before this weekend I may have scrunched my nose a bit in reaction to that statement and thought that no matter how close you are to the spirit, it doesn't mean that everything in your life will be okay. Things go wrong. That's just how life is. You deal with it, you move on, you resolve to make the best of it. But that doesn't mean that things are going to always go well for you.

The problem is that I was misinterpreting the word "okay." My initial interpretation of his statement was that all would be great in your life. But then my mind wandered back to hearing the word "okay" the day before.

At a very special memorial service on Saturday, our friend stood at the pulpit of one of our church buildings and explained to us that a week earlier he had received a very strong feeling in his heart that told him two things: 1) that he was about to go through an absolutely heartbreaking experience and 2) that it would be okay.

That it would be okay.

Staying close to the spirit doesn't mean that your life will be perfect or that everything you want in life will come true. It means that things will be okay. That you will feel the peace and comfort you need to get through hard times. That you will be able to lean on our Heavenly Father for strength. That no matter what happens, it will be okay. You will be okay. And that's a very powerful message.

6 comments:

Rach said...

What a great post Molly! I loved it. I needed to hear it.
Thanks!

Kerri said...

I really liked this post, Molly. Thanks for being simply open.

the Rowleys said...

thanks for the post, good things to hear and ponder!

Bonnie said...

Gosh, I got way behind on your blog... so fun! I loved the Mirror post - I have so many unfinished projects like that, and I probably will NEVER finish them all!

This post was very moving... thanks for helping me see life differently for a minute. Sometimes OKAY is a subjective term, but I firmly believe things will be okay if we do our best. Thanks!

Trinity said...

Thank you for sharing that. I needed to hear it

LKC said...

I like that, Molly. Thanks.