Saturday, January 2, 2010

cloth diapers: #1

{Photos of Christmas coming. I promise. It takes a long time to fix the red-eye in every picture because of Graham's deer-in-the-headlight eyes.}

So I think people think I'm opinionated. Oh, if they only knew. Truth is I am opinionated (Isn't everyone?), but the difference is that I don't really care that much what other people do. There are exceptions to that statement, but when it comes to diapers I don't really have an opinion about what you put on your kids' butts. I just don't.

Yes, I use cloth diapers. Why? Because I want to. And that's reason enough for me. Is it better for the environment? People argue both sides. Landfills, chemicals, growing cotton, water to wash the diapers. Blah blah blah.

I like cloth diapers because I like them. That's all. I don't hate disposables. There you have it. So don't look at me like I'm a hypocrite if my kid has a disposable diaper on his rear end. :)

So on to the cloth diaper update: I love them! We haven't used a disposable diaper in weeks, and I'm really excited about that. Here is the latest on the diapers for anyone who's interested:

Let's talk types of diapers. Graham is asleep, so Mr. Moose is going to model for us.

Prefolds


First we have the traditional prefold diaper with a cover. A prefold is what people use for birth cloths now. The middle strip of the fabric is thicker and more absorbant. I like to use these nifty little "snappi" fasteners to keep the diaper on. Then you cover everything with the waterproof cover. Voila.

Pros: Easier to wash. Can just keep a pile handy and use for diapers or burp cloths--whichever is needed at the time. Compared to the pocket diapers, they take up much less room in your diaper bag when out and about. They are inexpensive--you buy lots of diapers ($1-2 per diaper) and only a few covers ($11-13 per cover).

Cons: Takes a bit to learn how to successfully put one on. Takes a little bit longer to change a diaper. Poop can escape and get on the cover. (Although I've been told that as we get better at securing the diapers, these sometimes occurrences will become rare occurrences.) A wet diaper is very wet and the baby can feel it (which I've heard is a 'pro' when it comes to potty training).

Pocket Diapers


Then we have one-size pocket diapers. They are shaped like disposables but are made with waterproof fabric and absorbent inner liners. These have snaps or adjustable elastic to fit as your child grows from newborn to toddler. They have a "pocket" into which you stuff an absorbent cloth insert.

Pros: Faster to change. Not complicated to put on baby. Super cute. They wick most moisture away like disposables, so your baby doesn't feel a big wet diaper (although this can be a 'con' when it comes to potty training).

Cons: More complicated washing instructions. Can get detergent build-up and start leaking, require regular "stripping" of the wicking material. Expensive ($11-20 per diaper).

Stay tuned for more cloth diaper info...

2 comments:

thislonglife said...

Hey Molly! Sorry I never got back to you- my holidays were insane. I ended up doing a combo of prefolds and bambineo's with bumkins wraps, and the Thirsties AIO. I still do an organic Huggies throwaway for night time just for the leakage/nasty wet/don't want to change a diaper at 3am factor. I've been lovin' your pic.s! I'm always up for playdates, and I saw that your friends with my (around the corner, down the street and around the corner)neighbor Lenessa- so we should all get together sometime!

Amy Carter said...

i'm still shocked at how many washings/rinses cloth diapers need (especially the pre-folds.) now i don't feel so bad about using disposable.