Saturday, December 12, 2009

pack rat

Sometimes I start to worry that I'm a pack rat. Every corner in our house has something in it. We end up with piles that never get sorted.

My sister Ashley and I always comment on how our sister Amy's house is always so...well...un-cluttered. How does she do it? I think it's impossible.

So today I'm starting with our hall closet and throwing out (or donating) anything we don't need. (The camping gear stays. I am determined to use it come spring.)

Then I think: You know? The fact that I'm worried enough to throw things out means I'm not a pack rat, right? And then I feel better.

And as a Christmas present to Christian I am going to make room for all my cake stands in the hall closet. If you ever need to borrow a cake stand (or nine), just give me a call.

9 comments:

Dana said...

I sometimes feel that i am a pack rat too! We just moved and I got rid of alot but I still feel like I need to get rid of more! whats wrong with me! I think after I hang up our pictures and get more organized I will feel better. I love cake stands! I don't own any so maybe I will ask you sometime to borrow one!

Trinity said...

I think the proper term is Hoarder. hahaha! only kidding! you know i'm the same way

Ella said...

I think it has to do with living in an apartment! It seems like a lot of stuff bc there's nowhere to put it. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway.

Chris said...

'Tis the season to wonder why you need new stuff when there's already too much old stuff. I try to relieve the guilt with a plan to discard closets, cupboards & drawers full of unused items and donate them to ?? (and here's when it sounds a bit overwhelming). Good luck Molly

Julia said...

you're totally not a pack rat. i think it's great to have a purge moment every once in awhile. for sure. absolutely cleansing. :)

Ashley said...

Interesting that this post should come 24 hours after helping me move! :)

And the facebook status was your work, I presume?

Molly said...

Ashley--if your move inspired my subconscious, it would only have been because your old and new place were so wonderfully barren and such a contrast to my cluttered apartment. :)

Amy Carter said...

it helps to have a husband who really doesn't like clutter. he keeps me in check.

Ashley C. said...

Ha, if we had an Ivan our houses would be clean too!