Wednesday, December 16, 2009

making it look easy

{This is a really looong post. I got to typing and just kept going. Feel free to not read it. It's long.}

My friend, Nicole, pointed out that I "make new motherhood sound easy" on my blog. I
ll admit. It has been rather easy for us, but not all fun and games. Perhaps I should clarify.

Being a mother to Baby G is easy. He is a very good baby. He eats. He sleeps. He smiles. He cries (sometimes). He spits up (all the time). He poops and pees. He is a very mellow baby and is usually quite content. This week he discovered his lungs and complains a bit more, but he isn't fooling me. I know he's an easy baby.

I do have to wake up 2 or 3 times a night to feed him. He likes to go 3 or 4 (or lately 5 or 6!) hours between feedings when he first goes down for the night. Then around 4am he decides he should wake up every 2 hours. That's not as fun, but I don't hold it against him!

I guess waking up at night is what you make of it. I'm one of those people who is awake as soon as I stand up and asleep as soon as I lie down, and I am so grateful for that. I like to tell myself that if I can piece together enough sleep throughout the night, then I have no reason to be tired. I like to wake up in the morning and think, "Well, I slept from 11 to 1:30 (2.5 hours), from 2 to 4:30 (2.5 hours), from 5 to 7 (2 hours). That adds up to 7 hours. I'm fine." When he was first born, I'd do the same thing only I'd be sure to go to sleep around 8:30pm and stay in bed until 10 or 11am in order to add up enough hours.

Yes. I am lucky to have a baby who sleeps, even if it's only for 2 hours at a time. I know I am lucky. My heart goes out to all of you with babies who stay up and cry all night.

Now let's switch gears for a minute. Let's talk about me. My body has not been quite so nice.

* For 3 weeks breastfeeding hurt so so badly. Only the other moms out there really understand this pain...

* The day after breastfeeding stopped hurting, my skin started itching. You've already read about that. It has been 5 weeks and it still itches.

* A couple weeks ago, I started feeling like I was going to pee my pants. You don't really want to know that, but I'm being honest about postpartum life here. It lasted a couple days, doctors had no answers for me, and then it went away. Came back again. Went away. Please stay away...

* All my friends told me their stitches (from tearing or episiotomies) stopped hurting after 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. At 6-weeks I couldn't stand for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time before I hurt so bad I had to lie down. Turns out I hadn't healed correctly and it took another week for the doctor to properly fix me. I feel fine now...

* A couple days ago my throat started to hurt. A day later I was exhausted. Then I got really weak and had a headache. Woke up during the night sweating and with a fever. Paranoid I was getting the flu. I feel better now. Throat still hurts...

To make a (very) long story short, my body has thrown one thing after another at me. My body has not had a normal day since I came home from the hospital, but I'm fine. I guess I don't mind that much. I have a beautiful baby. If my body wants to give me hell, I can handle it.

So motherhood isn't all fun and games, but I love it. Perhaps it's all in the attitude. Of course, it helps when your baby is an angel...

5 comments:

Ashley said...

You are too good at not complaining about this stuff very often. I think I would be lying in bed demanding meals from the Relief Society if I had all that going on.

LJ and DC said...

and it totally helps when you have lots of help at home. I wish that dang itching would leave you alone already for crying out loud! Nothing can really help too much with that it seems.

Julie Laughlin said...

you poor girl! i understand the bodily pains. believe me. i would get frustrated by the people who had babies and were bouncing around the mall a week after giving birth. i used to sit in the aisles of target because my stiches hurt so badly that i couldn't bear to stand. i'm dreading the bodily pain that i may have with this next baby. if it's as painful again, this may be my last child! nobody told me that the 'healing' was going to be the worst part of the child birth experience for me.
but at least baby g is a little angel! and i love all of his pictures. keep posting more. he has the sweetest little face.
i wish i could help you with your itching though! i don't have any solutions!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the post, Molly... You are so positive, but I was beginning to think you were Wonderwoman (Which is pretty much true!) or delusional! :) Just kidding. It's true - motherhood rocks, but it has its bumps in the road. I used to add up my hours of sleep like that, too! It somehow made life easier. Or I was delusional!

The Winkelman's said...

You are such a good sport, Molly! I love your awesome attitude about being a mom. I hope your body continues to feel better.