Monday, November 2, 2009

something to work toward

Alright ladies (and gentlemen). It's time to talk fitness. Here's how a conversation with Christian went last night (we were chatting about what we'd like to improve about our bodies):

Molly: Let's have a fitness competition.
Christian: Okay, whichever of us gets into our ideal shape first wins $100.
Molly: Awesome. Deal.
Christian: I can live with my body the way it is. I'm done. I win. Should I go get the $100 now?

Ha ha. Very funny, Christian.

But seriously, I have a plan, and I'm wondering who wants to join me. The Sequoia Trail Run in Joaquin Miller Park (in the hills behind Oakland) is on February 27th. That's 16 1/2 weeks away. There is a 10k (6.2 miles) and a 20k (12.4 miles).

I plan to walk for the next 4 weeks until my body has fully healed and is ready to start running. I will then use the next 12 weeks to increase my mileage 1 mile a week. Sounds like a feasible plan, right?

Reasons you should sign up for this race:

1. It's only $35.
2. You don't have to do the 20k. You can sign up for the 10k! (Or the 30k or 50k if you really want.)
3. There's a limit of about 100 people for each distance, so you don't have to deal with crowds and crowds of people.
4. It's part of the Pacific Coast Trail Runs, which means it's beautiful and all on trail. But consider yourself warned--it's hilly. They don't mess around when it comes to hills. You need to train on hills. And you need to remember that on beautiful runs like this, there's no shame in walking up a hill. Trust me--sometimes these runs are more like hiking. {I love the hills and the hills love me!}
5. You'll be giving me peer pressure to get back into running shape!
6. It's not very far away and doesn't start at an insanely early hour, so you can sleep in your own beds the night before.
7. Packet pick-up is right before the race, so you don't have to make two trips to the race site.



I will be signing up as soon as the registration opens, and I'll remind all of you as well...

And now I'm off to take a walk.

18 comments:

whitney said...

oooo, you know i'm a total sucker for a race. i'm in!

mj said...

i'm in. i wanted to do it last year and it just didn't work. sounds perfectly lovely. :)

Ashley said...

10Ks are beyond me. If you want to do a Christmas or New Years 5K as a little warm-up, I'm in!

Julia said...

you know i would do that with you in two seconds. :) i'll run with you in spirit darling.

Dr. aafb said...

I'll have to think about it. It sounds like fun and sure is tempting. You are such a go getter. I am so impressed with you already thinking about your next race! Send me a reminder when registration opens!

Ashley C. said...

I want to do it!! I need a goal. I'll sign up for the 20k, unless you think the hills will be waaaay too bad, but I think I need more motivation than a 10k to really get me pressured into training. Scout could use a good tiring out too.

thebakerbook said...

I am in for 10k!

Kerri said...

I'm in. I'll run it here, and find a good path (surely not anything compared to yours). Next we need to talk training. I'm still the non-runner I've always been.

Eve said...

Can you wear an IPOD in this race?

Molly said...

Eve--almost every race in existence says you can't wear an headphones. And almost everyone in every race wears them. :)

This race says "Please do not wear headphones on single track trail" in order to be courteous--if someone wants to get around you on a single-track trail, you need to be able to hear them. So it looks like they're fine with you wearing them on the wider portions of the trails.

Besides, I am of the opinion that people should only wear one ear bud no matter where they are running. Not being able to hear what's going on around you is dangerous and kind of rude in races. :)

Shayla T said...

You know I'm in. :)

Veeda said...

gooooooooo molly!

Mary Dawn said...

I'm in! Love to have a reason to start running again. Hills scare me. Good luck with the walking!

Tyler said...

Refresh my memory, is a 10K more than 2 miles? If so, I'm out.

Tyler said...

By you should definitely do it. Christian too. Tell him it builds character.

Ashley C. said...

Hmm, maybe the 20k is too ambitious. 10k with hills should be enough of a challenge!

Amy Carter said...

i think i should do it too. :/
i'm scared. but considering i have the best training grounds, i have no excuses. ashley c, we can do it together!

Shayla Taylor said...

For all of those interested in running - the race is now open so you call all go ahead and register. :)

http://www.pctrailruns.com/Sequoia_Wntr.htm