Sunday, November 29, 2009

finding my voice

I've always loved music. I've played the piano since I was 7, I played the flute from 4th grade to 8th grade, and I've always loved to sing.

I was never amazing, but I always sang. Growing up I sang while playing the piano (I'm positive my siblings loved this). I sang along to my parents' Beatles and The Mamas and The Papas records. I sang in the ward choir, I sang in stake choirs, I was in musicals in high school (in fact, I was a lead in a musical, but really I think there wasn't much musical competition at my high school and I just looked the part).

In college I took a singing class with my friend, Jared. I sang in a volunteer choir performance of He is Jesus Christ with my friend, Kerri. I sang REALLY loud in the car by myself--with or without the radio on. And, of course, I sang in the shower.

Then I got married. I still sang along to songs in the car (perhaps not quite so loud), but I think I got a little self conscious about singing in the shower. I mean, there was someone who could hear me! I never really got back into participating in church choirs (nap time with the hubby was much more inviting). And when you stop singing, your voice kind of goes down the drain.

Then I had a baby. And I started to sing to him. No background music. Just me and the babe and my voice. It was nice. I sing him my favorite primary songs. I sing him "Dream a Little Dream." I sing him Christmas songs. I didn't know I missed it until I started singing again.

So today I decided to start participating in my ward choir again.

But I took a nap with the baby and forgot. I guess I'll start next week...

1 comment:

mj said...

um, i sang in that He is Jesus Christ performance too. so funny. i did it for a few years, so i'm sure one of them was at the same time as you. :)