Tuesday, November 17, 2009

bumjoy cloth diapers

So we're planning to use cloth diapers. We bought a bunch of prefolds and a couple of covers (read: inexpensive, old-school cloth diapers and covers) as well as a number of one-size pocket diapers (read: more expensive, "new-fangled," fitted cloth diapers that are supposed to adjust to fit from newborn to toddler). Our plan was to use the prefolds until we figured out which pocket diapers we liked and then order more.

Some cinch up in the sides in order to make the diaper smaller; some double over and snap up in the front. Let's just say that not all the "one-size" diapers are truly one-size-fits-all. Most were absolutely ginormous on our little guy, and he's probably over 10 pounds now. They aren't necessarily too loose--just WAY too bulky. The poor kid could barely move in some of them.

In fact, the one that led to the wonderful crack shot in a previous post was so big and bulky in the front that I almost refused to try it. But I'm not going to write them all off as failures yet. They are just too big for now, so we may end up liking them in the future. Who knows?

That said, I have to give a shout out to the one-size diapers that really did work. The BumJoy diapers weren't too big, didn't necessarily look like they were doubled up in the front, and didn't leak. Sure, they are bulky compared to disposables, but that comes with the territory when you cloth diaper. The best part? They were the cheapest one-size diaper we sampled. Hurray! I ordered a few more to confirm that I like them, and now I'm ready to really stock up. Pocket diapers are so easy that it feels like we're cheating the cloth diapering system.


Not to mention the colors are absolutely perfect! Check them out at www.etsy.com/shop/bumJoy.


Graham says they make him feel like a super hero.

7 comments:

Julia said...

so glad you've found something that works for you and graham! that's fantastic. am i seeing a hint of red in his hair or is that just the pic?!

thislonglife.com said...

Hi Molly, I'm a friend of Kim Bonds and we just found out our third baby is allergic to disposable diapers. I've been using the regular cheap prefolds, or bumkins, with diaper covers- they've been working fine for me, but are sort of a pain in the butt to change. Have you found that you also need a diaper cover with these? or are they really "all in one?" it looks like our babies are relatively close in size and age. Thanks!

Molly said...

Julia-- Yep! I can sometimes see a hint of red, too. But Christian and I both started out with dark-ish hair like this and then went super blond, so we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Laura-- Thanks for stopping by my blog. We've been using prefolds a bit, too, but I really suck at putting them on. Looks like you and I live close to each other. Would you want to get together and look at my all-in-one diapers? My diapers have a pocket for an absorbent (also cloth) insert, but other than that it's all one piece, no cover needed. And maybe you could give me tips on using the prefolds since our kids are close to the same size. :)

Veronica Cleverly said...

We so want to do cloth diapers. I wanted to do them with Savannah but it didn't happen. We hope we will be better for baby number two. Cross your fingers that baby number two comes soon. Trying for a year takes a toll on you.

Julie Laughlin said...

seriously - he is so cute! i love his face in those pictures. can't wait to come see him.

Eve said...

I want to do cloth diapers too... im so glad you're doing all the research for me!

XOXO

Eve

Dr. aafb said...

More power to ya! Sam wanted to do cloth but being a working mom you have to give a little. We participate in earth baby which composts biodegradable diapers. They come pick up and drop off the diapers if you change your mind once you go back to work :)