Saturday, October 24, 2009

introducing baby Graham...

As some of you noticed, I never got around to posting about Josh and Christian's clothing company, because our baby finally arrived!

We're so excited to introduce you all to Graham!

Graham made his way into the world on Thursday night at 10:12pm. 8lbs,11oz. 20 inches. He is perfect!





Here's the story for those of you who are interested...

My water broke at about 1:00am on Thursday morning just minutes after Christian told the baby in my belly that he needed to come out already.

At 4:30am we went to the hospital with weak and irregular contractions so they could monitor me for infection. Unfortunately, things didn't progress at all and I was hooked up to pitocin at 10:30am. I was pretty bummed about having to go on pitocin since I knew it would probably mess with my plan to try for a natural birth, but I got over it pretty quickly. I roll with the punches.

I spent the next 5 hours managing contractions just fine, chatting with Christian and my mom, and trying to sleep. Around 3:30pm, everything changed. The contractions hit hard and I couldn't seem to manage my relaxation anymore. I was not in a good place. Breathing was hard. I threw up. I was a mess.

When things became unbearable, the doctor came in to do an internal exam. Christian thought they had good news for us but it turns out the doctor and assistant were just excited because they loved how cute my polka-dotted toenails were! Ha! Christian confessed later that he was pretty pissed that I was in such a bad place and they were oo-ing and ah-ing about my toes. I'm pretty sure I remember being flattered and saying "Thanks!" between contractions.

I was only 3 centimeters dilated--the same as a week before. They said a normal labor would progress about a centimeter an hour, meaning a possible 7 more hours, so I gladly opted for an epidural. I would have loved to have gone natural, but it just wasn't happening and that was just fine with me. Not trying to prove anything here.

Getting the epidural took about an hour, because my veins weren't cooperating and they couldn't get enough fluids in me. Once the epidural was in and enough blankets were piled on me to stop the shaking, I was fully dilated within an hour and a half. What a relief.

My contractions pretty much stopped (weren't showing up on the monitor), so pushing was a guessing game, but it was the best part of the whole labor. I couldn't feel any pain, Christian was really excited (making me extra motivated), and I opted to have my mom stay in the room, which was really special!

I knew I was having a baby, but I didn't fully wrap my brain around it until they put Graham on my chest. I couldn't believe my body had made that perfect little person. It was surreal. I was just so excited and couldn't stop smiling. I could definitely do that again.

It took 21 hours total, but for probably 19 of those hours, I was in a great mood. Overall it was an amazing experience.

Welcome, Graham! We love you!

25 comments:

amandanbo said...

congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! he is gorgeous! and what a beautiful name! love it! so glad your labor went well {well. how good can labor be, really?!} it is so amazing!

nicole said...

sounds like everything is perfect! he is a cutie!! give him lots of love for us!

mj said...

Oh, he's just perfect! I can't wait to get a sneak peak (hopefully) tomorrow when I bring you dinner. Do you like curry???

madichan said...

So excited for you, Molly, and he looks amazing! Also way impressed with what your body is capable of doing! I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it in the middle, but so very excited at the outcome; congratulations!

LKC said...

He is beautiful! Contgratulations!

the Rowleys said...

congratulations! I feel like I'm just repeating what everyone has already said, but hey he is really ADORABLE! What a hasome baby boy, wish you the best with your recovery, try to take it easy.

amandanbo said...

had to come back and swoon again! those cheeks are killing me! so sweet!

Dr. aafb said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful! Not screaming in any of the photos. That's good. Can't wait to meet him.

Courtney said...

Ok seriously, some babies are just not that cute right when they come out, but Graham is adorable!!! Congrats, you are awesome, can't wait to meet him!

Julia said...

Molly, he is beautiful. We are so happy for you. XOXO, J&J

Chris said...

wow! has this post really been up since Saturday? Well, it was a treat to see it this morning. You already know how special this experience was for me. There are no words to describe the miracle of birth. You were so calm throughout, and when Graham finally arrived, we were all teary eyed. And to top it off, he is SO cute.

whitney said...

molly, he is seriously sooooo beautiful! congrats!

Julie Laughlin said...

the picture of you 3 is adorable! and an epidural for an hour??! you poor thing! But I'm glad he made it here safely. Can't wait to see him.

thebakerbook said...

Molly! I cant get over how cute he is. I cant wait to meet him in real life!

Jenna said...

What a beautiful little guy! I love his name! Great Job on the delivery. What a great experience it is to become a mommy! I am so happy for you!

Jona said...

Congrats guys! what a good looking kid!

Tamra said...

Oh, he's adorable! Love the name. Loved hearing the story. Love the pictures. And I love that Christian is so excited. I love when a father chooses to become a Daddy!!!

Jenni said...

He's so cute and we're so excited for you guys. Congratulations!!!!

CaSsAnDuH said...

Congrats! It was fun reading this past 9 months!

Good luck Mama!
--Cassy (Josh's sister)

Camelia Bradshaw said...

He is perfect and super beautiful. I love his cheeks and you three look like the most beautiful family.Josh and I are very excited for you guys.
Molly, you did great. 21 hours? You are a champ.

Kira said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Graham is so perfect :)

Eve said...

molly, hes sooo cute!!!!!!!!!!! Im so sorry your labor was sooo long, that sounds horrible! I cant wait to meet the little man.

Amy Carter said...

such cute picutes! i know there will be many more to come. can't wait to meet him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dana said...

OH, that is a sweet story. I can't wait to meet Evan Graham. Congratulations.

Veeda said...

oh molly! I'm so happy for you guys. Congrats congrats congrats. He is so freakin' precious.