Sunday, July 12, 2009

remember when i took apart the piano?

When I was about 17, I took apart our family piano. There were some broken keys and I figured it would be an easy fix. Word of advice--don't take apart your piano. It won't go back together. I know from experience...

Fast forward 10 years...

I was going to work out this afternoon, but I ended up playing mechanic instead. Funny how that works out.

Since it's not safe for me to ride my bike on the streets anymore, and since I've been bad at exercising regularly, and since I've gained *ahem* pounds in the last month (all you need to know is that I gained more than twice what I should have...), I finally decided to buy a bike trainer. Not an exercise bike, a bike trainer--you hook it up to your own bike so you can ride inside. You know, for rainy days... or pregnant days.

I found a used trainer on Craigslist and purchased it--always a gamble. Got it home and realized I had no idea what I was doing. Um, isn't this back roller supposed to, um, roll when the bike is on? Because mine wasn't. I swear it rolled when the guy showed it to me at his house.

So I called my local bike pros (Kaylynn and Brook). While talking to Brook I turned the roller with my hand and out popped a piece of broken plastic that had been lodged under the roller. Lovely.

So what did I do? I broke out the screw driver and alan wrenches, of course. Took the entire thing apart (please don't forget how to put it back together...), figured out what was wrong (lots of broken plastic and cracks causing the metal to scrape), figured out how to fix it (secure the remaining plastic directly to the metal instead of to a bolt), broke out the Gorilla Glue (hard core, eh?), and got to work.




"Clamp firmly and allow to dry for 3-4 hours." Who needs a clamp when you have scotch tape and tupperware?


And 12 hours later, I'm happy to report that the trainer went back together much better than the piano. Final result? Smoooooth and silent. Now just cross your fingers it doesn't break again.


{Oh, and there's another belly pic if you're interested. I'm a week behind...)

3 comments:

Julia said...

you are so stinkin' resourceful. tupperware and scotch tape. LOVE IT.

Julia said...

oh, and thanks for the belly pic reminders. keep 'em coming.

Wain said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Barbara

http://keyboardpiano.net