Sunday, July 19, 2009

hymns

Today at church we sang "In Our Lovely Deseret," which I think is just a hilarious hymn. You can read the lyrics here. I think our chorister likes it, because today was the second time we've sung it in a couple months (and we've missed quite a few weeks lately). Other than trying not to giggle while singing it, I like to nudge Christian and Richard during the hymn and sing the "and they eat but little meat" part over and over to them. I think it's hilarious. They roll their eyes at me. I think the "eat meat sparingly" concept goes right over their heads.

On a more spiritual note, the hymn we sang before the blessing of the sacrament stood out to me as well. I can't remember which hymn it was, but it talked about how we will be judged on the extent to which we forgive others. This really stood out to me. I try hard to give others the benefit of the doubt. I try to see people's point of view. But I'm not perfect. I still get annoyed. I still get offended. But I try hard to forgive others no matter what. I'm sure I annoy people and offend people, but I know I don't do it on purpose. I would hope people would give me the benefit of the doubt and forgive me, so I try to do the same. The hymn's message was beautiful.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Thanks Molly for sharing your spiritual side with us! I really needed that today, so I appreciate your willingness to open up. I, too, think "In Our Lovely Deseret" should be removed from the hymnbook except for times when we need to be woken up in Sacrament Meeting! But there are so many amazing messages that we can only truly feel through the hymns. Thanks again!

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.