Monday, July 27, 2009

bug bomb

{Sometimes I confuse people. Let me clarify. Christian is my husband. Richard is his brother. On with the blog post...}

So Richard cleaned out his room the other day. One of those deep cleaning days where you rearrange and purge everything. Is he nesting, too?

I opened up the hall closet and noticed a strange-looking old can that had been stuck on one of the shelves. It was obvious this thing was getting up there in years. Upon further inspection, I realized it was a bug bomb. You know, one of those cans you set off and then leave your house for a day and let it kill all the fleas or spiders or whatever pests have taken over your home. One of those cans your dad sets off just before you leave for a family road trip, and you don't mention to him that his James Taylor tape is still inside the house until after it's too late to go back inside. Yeah--one of those bug bombs.

Why would we have an old bug bomb in our apartment?

Ask Richard, of course.

"Hey Richard. Do you know where this came from?"

"Yeah, I had it in my room."

"Do you know what this is?"

"I don't know. Bug spray?"

"It's a bug bomb. It says 'effective over 5,000 cubic feet.' You have to leave your house when you set it off because it's pretty much poison in the air. Why in the world did you have a bug bomb in your room?"

"I don't know. I've had it in my room for like 5 years."

Like 5 years
means that a 13-year-old decided his room was a good place to store a bug bomb. Like 5 years means he moved it from his room at his parent's house to our house 2 years ago. Like 5 years means that this old bug bomb could have gone off in his room anytime without him even knowing what it was.

Kind of makes me wonder what else he has in his room...

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, that makes me think of the 30 Rock episode where Kenneth sets off a bug bomb in his room and then Tracy opens the door and the bug bomb poison comes into the next room and kills Kenneth's dear pet bird. Hahahaha. That was a great episode.

Julia said...

yikes!

um, TOTALLY loved that episode of 30 rock. loved it.

Dana said...

It reminded me of that too. That is to funny that he actually moved it to your place too! ha ha

Ashley C. said...

Uh, I don't think a bug bomb could just "go off." It's not a land mine!

ps. I'm sure there are FAR worse things you could find in an 18 year olds closet!