Monday, May 11, 2009

the 10k that kicked my butt

The 10k kicked my butt. But only for the last 2 miles. I dominated the first 4 miles. But I was no match for that last hill. That last ridiculously long hill. Yeah. I walked up the entire thing. I feel no shame.

But let's back track. Beautiful morning (perhaps a bit too sunny). I rode over with Erica and we met up with, oh, half the girls I know. And we were off.



2 minutes into our run, the 5k-ers split off and I was on my own. Up the hill, down the hill, up, up (Page Mill Road), up, down, down (GORGEOUS!), down, down (Moody Road), down, down, down, down...down.....down.....

This is where it got suspicious. We (as in me and the only other person anywhere near me) had been running downhill for an awfully long time. That only means one thing...

Up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up...up....up.....up..... Think you get the point? You don't. And you won't until you run up, up, up, up, and up.

I ran up and up and up.

Then down. Back into the gorgeous scenery. But by this time I was at about 5 miles and really didn't care anymore.

So when it started going up again, I walked. And walked. And walked. And walked. Kind of like the pioneer children. It was lovely.



But you'd better believe I ran the very last hill. There was no way I was letting those slow girls behind me pass me up. Oh, no. I beat them. They were perhaps the only people I beat, but I beat them hands down.



Definitely running this race again next year. But not pregnant. And only after some serious hill training.

5 comments:

AMY and ARTHUR said...

You go Molly...Arthur's getting ready to run a Marathon. He's been training and each time he runs a long run, he comes home limping. Good times.

Julia said...

You are an inspiration!! :) AWESOME JOB! That course is T.O.U.G.H.!!

Ashley C. said...

At least you beat someone! That always means something, even if it's a little old lady or something like that! I'll do it next year too!

Julie Laughlin said...

you rock! and you look great! you'll be glad you exercised this much during pregnancy after you have the baby.

whitney said...

molly you rock. that is by far the most insane run i have ever done and i'm glad i wasn't pregnant. :)