Wednesday, March 25, 2009

have you eaten your vegetables?

Every week in my ESL class we have a health lesson. Our lesson today started with a simple word search activity. They had to find the names of vegetables.

broccoli
cauliflower
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
radishes
carrots
potatoes
peas
cucumbers
garlic

After they found all the words, I asked them to mark the vegetables they have eaten since the start of this week. And then I made the mistake of joining them in this activity and marking the vegetables I had eaten.

Two... 2... Dos... As in one less than three...

Every one of the students in my group had eaten at least 7 of the vegetables listed. AT LEAST.

Talk about a wake-up call. It actually made me feel really gross. What have I eaten this week? Bread? Check. Pasta? Check. Bagels? Check. Cereal, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, tamales, fruit (ding, ding, ding!), yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter and jelly, milkshake? Check, check, check, check, check. This is really embarrassing.

This is even more embarrassing. (Seriously--I can't believe I'm actually writing this post.) Want to know what vegetables I've had this week? Lettuce and tomatoes... on a BLT. Gross.

So when I got home tonight (at 9pm), I made myself kale with sauteed mushrooms, fennel, green garlic, and a tiny bit of sausage (it was sitting on the counter already cooked and I couldn't help myself). The beets are currently boiling and I will enjoy them the minute they are done.

So tell me--How many kinds of vegetables have you eaten so far this week?

7 comments:

AMY and ARTHUR said...

Oh boy...does the lettuce on a hamburger count????!!

Camelia Bradshaw said...

We actually did really well this week! I made a stir fry on Monday that had carrots, zucchini, bean sprouts, chard, mushroom, onion and cabbage. We had cauliflower with our meal on Tuesday and will have Brussels’ sprouts tomorrow.

We don't always do this well. I went to a new shop in San Jose that had veggies really cheap with my mom last weekend and bought tons of veggies for under $10.

I guess we all would do better if veggies were not so expensive. Thank goodness for summer and vegetable gardens.

Julia said...

thanks for this post molly. jona and i have felt the same way the past little while and resolved to eat vegetables more too. (kaylynn, don't hate me).

so this week i will be happy to list my veggie intake:

peas
spinach
spinach (again ... two nights)
bell peppers
snap peas
carrots
broccoli
cauliflower

but please understand this disclosure is for THIS WEEK ONLY. ;)

haha. i need that recipe that you are going to make tonight.

miss you.

Lindsey said...

Good wake up call! I have had 8 of the veggies this week. The only thing helping me with my veggies is the fact that I've been planning out my meals in an effort to incorporate more veggies. I have my weekly dinner menu on my blog if you're interested in ideas. :) Carrot, potato, garlic, onion, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato and olive (is that a veggie or just a fat?)
What I need from Molly? A private lesson on how to learn how to grow plants, veggies on my deck. And to see you more! :)

LJ and DC said...

Um, I've only eaten 5 of those but I've also inhaled a ton of asparagus. And ps. Isn't a tomato a fruit?! hehe.
We were just talking about our veggie garden yesterday. Time to get cracking!

Ashley C. said...

Last night I ate:

parsnips
carrots
leeks
mushrooms
escarole
lettuce
turnips
garlic

We had to cook all our CSA food in one night at Jose's dad's house!

Molly said...

Ashley--last night I had...

green garlic
leeks
escarole
cabbage
orach
lettuce
avocado (fruit, whatever)

I had a ton of leftovers and didn't want ANY of it today. :( I guess I only like fresh-cooked veggies.