Friday, February 13, 2009

valentine's day



I was never a huge fan of Valentine's Day. Don't get me wrong--I was not one of those people who hated Valentine's Day. No, no. Just didn't get all crazy excited about it. Maybe it's because I thought heart-shaped jewelry was cheesy. It was all just too mushy, and I'm not that mushy of a person. I had a couple of romantic boyfriends back in the day, and they drove me insane. I found myself wanting to laugh at their love notes. I am a mean, mean person.

Then came Christian. Back in 2004, I knew Christian was thinking about proposing. I specifically told him I did NOT want to be proposed to on Valentine's Day. So cliché. I guess I made this a little overly clear to him. Turns out all our friends were telling him the same thing--to the point where he got annoyed every time someone reminded him that he COULD NOT propose on Valentine's Day. "I KNOW!"

He proposed on February 21st. I said yes.

While I still wouldn't want to be proposed to on Valentine's Day, I'm much more open to mushiness now. And especially this year. Valentine's Day? Bring it on, baby. Flowers, chocolates, mushy mushy. Maybe not love poems. Those are still a little much for me. But a cute little love note? I can certainly handle that.



No pressure, Christian.

6 comments:

mer said...

Ha ha. This made me laugh. I totally feel the same way about Valentine's Day. Funny how opinions change after a few years.

:)

nicole said...

Ditto! We got engaged on Feb 17! Presidents Day (in 2003)...

Julia said...

So we got married Feb 7 so VDay is pretty much shot in the foot. We don't really celebrate it either other than a nice dinner together and maybe chocolates. :) MISS YOU GUYS. Love your posts.

Molly said...

Oh, the shame! Amy pointed out that my post started with the words, "I was never been..." Hello! Don't I teach English? That's what happens when you edit a sentence and then don't read through it again. Thanks, Amy.

Amy Carter said...

it's the one day of the year that co-workers and random strangers feel they have the right to snoop into your love life... i.e. 'any plans for valentine's day?'... which means 'are you dating anyone and are they doing anything special for you, or will you be alone and love-less tonight?' very sneaky indeed.
the chocolate and flowers are good though.

Chris said...

I was never been too excited about it either. Every time I give Chris a card , I feel I'm Cyrenoing it. Fundraising flowers aren't overly romantic either. What does an "Aw, shucks" kinda guy to do? Dad
P.S. Is there a message in the perception that the wanna-be-pirate on the card is missing an arm?