Sunday, February 15, 2009

stupid fudge

I have never made fudge. Today I decided to try. And I know it can be fickle so I vowed to follow the directions to the letter (sometimes I get lazy when I'm cooking and start to ignore the recipe). Of course, right off the bat I noticed that I accidently used semi-sweet chocolate instead of the unsweetened chocolate I bought specifically to make the fudge. Oh well. Not a big deal.

So I heated it up. Boiled. Used the candy thermometer (which I also bought just to make fudge). Stirred FOREVER til it reached 240 degrees. Removed from heat. Added butter and vanilla. Didn't stir, not matter how much I wanted to. Left about an hour until it dropped to 110 degrees. Oh wait. That never happened. Over an hour and a half later it had barely dropped to 125 degrees. I checked a couple more recipes and some said just to let it sit for an hour (and not necessarily get to a certain temperature). So I decided it was good enough.

Stir, stir, stir. Working up a sweat. Looking good. "Beat until fudge is very thick and has lost its gloss." Yep. Did that. As soon as it looked right, I immediately ran from the living room (where I was multi-tasking, i.e. watching Survivor) to the kitchen to pour it into the pyrex dish. And I do mean immediately. In the 3 seconds it took to get into the kitchen and put the pot next to the dish, the fudge hardened. Rock hard. Solid. In the pot. I'm lucky the wooden spoon was sitting on top of the fudge, otherwise I never would have gotten it out. I'm assuming I should have stopped stirring it about 1 minute sooner.

I spent hours on it. Hours.

Stupid fudge.

11 comments:

madichan said...

Wait, so now you have like, a giant fudge lollipop? Sorry about that, dude; candy-making can be a frustrating experience. :(

Erica said...

Oh my gosh, that sucks! I'm total crap at making fudge. I have never once made decent fudge. I'm always in awe of people who make the most amazing, creamy, delicious fudge because no matter how hard I try, mine never turns out. Maybe someday I will conquer the art of making fudge.

LJ and DC said...

Oh no! Was it yummy?

Molly said...

I broke off a chunk and ate a few bites anyway (since I'm fully addicted to anything sugar). No. It is not good. Grainy. Hard. And now I don't feel so good...

LJ and DC said...

oh no!!! even worse!

mj said...

oh molly - i can't make fudge either. i'll have to show you the pictures of my attempt. so not glossy and beautiful...and it was runny and gross. let's try again together sometime. :)

Chris said...

I need to locate that fail safe recipe where you simply melt chocolate chips with a jar of marshmallow cream or something like that. I agree the REAL candy techniques are frustrating. Now I need to go eat a dark chocolate dove!

Julia said...

dang. i hate that. and i'm sorry it didn't even taste good. knowing you though, you'll perfect it in no time, should you decide to. :)

Julia said...

dang. i hate that. and i'm sorry it didn't even taste good. knowing you though, you'll perfect it in no time, should you decide to. :)

Julia said...

dang. i hate that. and i'm sorry it didn't even taste good. knowing you though, you'll perfect it in no time, should you decide to. :)

Tamra said...

I suppose I should be more grateful for my friends that give me fudge for Christmas. Who knew it was so horrid to make?