Saturday, February 7, 2009

squirrel pee and pumpkin seeds

Our neighborhood squirrels like our place. We used to hear them running around in our roof (which I actually miss a lot--they must have sealed up all the holes). Now they just hang out on our porch, and I think they are adorable. Christian thinks they are annoying--especially on warm days when he leaves the door open only to see a squirrel sitting in our entryway looking up at him. I told him he is NOT allowed to throw things at them and NOT allowed to buy a bb gun to shoot them. The only thing he's allowed to do snap a picture the next time one trespasses in our house. It has yet to happen.

Sometimes the squirrels dig up my plants. And they ate all of my tomatoes (all 6 of them--we had quite the crop this year). But hey, that's what they do. They are squirrels. Back in November, we got a big pumpkin from our CSA and put it on our patio table instead of eating it. After a month or so, we noticed a hole had been scraped into the side of it. Birds? Squirrels? Definitely squirrels. In fact, I came home the other day to discover two squirrels on our balcony. They had finally scraped enough pumpkin out of the way to get to the jackpot. Seeds. Glorious seeds.

When they saw me, one squirrel took off for the neighbor's balcony before I made it up the stairs, but the other squirrel found itself cornered. It climbed up our screen and held on for dear life while I slowly went in the front door.

Now let's move on to the streaks on our front window. We couldn't figure out where they came from. Neighbor kids shooting our window with water guns? Nope. Squirrel pee. I watched the squirrel pee on my window. Gross.

But watching it stick its head all the way into the pumpkin then jump onto my planter to eat the seed more than made up for the pee on the window. Besides, at least they are getting a nutritious meal on my balcony instead of digging through the trash in the park, right?







3 comments:

Jenni said...

My mom would definitely side with Christian on the squirrels. I used to side with you. Then the squirrels devoured ALL of my sunflower seeds out of my carefully tended sunflowers. Now I side with Christian. Still, they are fun to watch sometimes.

Kaylynn said...

Ok, every day during lunch, I sit at my desk and read through my google reader. Lame, but whatever. Anyhow, I think I may have thrown up a little in my mouth reading your first paragraph. Because do you know how I read it? Cute squirrels. Used to run on roof. Mean maintainance man seals them inside roof. Die. Rot. Smell.

Yikes. That is exactly what I read and I think I am going to vomit.......

mer said...

Oh my gosh--I can't believe that about the squirrels (and that photo of the one on your window!!).

We would probably have the same problem here, except it is so cold right now I think all the squirrels are frozen. We have huge problems with deer here in the summer. I mean, I like wildlife, but it makes gardening kind of interesting...