Thursday, January 22, 2009

hippity hop

In honor of my elegant KMEL shout out in the last post, I was going to finally write about why I don't like most of the hyphy music. But as I started doing more research on the songs that almost drove me from listening to hip hop stations, I realized most of them aren't even hyphy. Add hip-hop genres to my non-specialization list. Turns out I don't dislike hyphy. Just certain songs that took over the local hip hop stations over the last year. The following songs annoy me to no end. Christian, on the other hand, likes them. We spent 2008 as a house divided.

First, let me give you my dislike list.

#1: Souljaboy. Gag me with a spoon.





















#2: Smack dat. I can handle it if I have to, but I'd rather change the station.




#3: Snap yo fingers. Seriously--I would rather listen to 3rd Eye Blind than this song. Or not. Hmmm. That's a hard call.




#4: Walk it out. Annoooooying.




Now let's move on to hip hop music I do like.

I am currently enjoying T.I.




Always love A Tribe Called Quest (De La Soul, Q-Tip):




Aaaaaand I'm officially too tired to look up anything else. So I leave you with one last song. Although I can't stand half the songs in this mash-up, I never tire of listening to it. Check out DJ Earworm's United States of Pop mash-up. 25 top songs from 2008 mashed into one. That takes serious talent. Granted, you'll only truly appreciate this if you know the songs:




So tell me, my blogger buddies. What kind of hip hop do you listen to? Or do you even listen to hip hop?

5 comments:

brooklyn said...

third eye blind happens to be a favorite guilty pleasure of mine :-)

up there with hanson. (why am i publishing this?).

Julia said...

little to zero hip hop at my house. k, maybe a little JT when i'm in the mood.

my new band of choice these days is barcelona. mmmmmmm. their album 'absolutes' is definitely worth checking out.

i don't have speakers at work so i'm excited to listen to these at home.

thebakerbook said...

I used to be a total ghetto girl. Hard Core. WuTang, Biggie, TuPac, Cypress Hill. Ahhh...those were the days. I still love almost every type of music....including hip hop.

Jenni said...

Right now, I'm currently in love with Kanye West's Love Lockdown. When I first heard it, I wasn't hooked. Nor was I the second time. But then, all of a sudden, I liked it!

Ashley C. said...

I have to disagree with Walk It Out. I like that song with the remix by Andre 3000 for Outcast. Definitely bootie shakin' material.