Wednesday, December 31, 2008

slipcover

Mom, this post is for you...

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, my parents gave us their old parlor couch. It served them well for, oh, 25 to 30 years. And then they gave it to us. Its beauty quickly faded (literally--the fabric faded and wore through and the cushions flattened like pancakes). Guess that's what happens when a couch goes from being a parlor couch to a TV couch.

So I got this great idea to make a slipcover. And who better to help me than my mom? If you haven't met my parents, then you don't yet know that they can build/fix/sew anything. ANYTHING. Don't believe me? My dad just finished leveling out the foundation of my sister's house. Tell me--when is my generation going to inherit this trait? I'm sure it's genetic. Not learned at all. One day you are just able to do everything, right? RIGHT??

Ok, back to my mom. She can sew a mean slipcover. So I picked out the fabric (dark chocolate corduroy) and she pretty much did the rest. This means we spent countless hours in my living room measuring, cutting foam cushions, measuring, cutting fabric, and measuring again. And that was just the first night. Note to self: my mom and I do not function when we get tired. I think we spent twice as much time measuring that first night than we needed to.

And then we took a break. For, oh, maybe 6 months. Then we got together again. This time we were going to pound it out and finish it. But when one person is a perfectionist (my mom) and the other really doesn't know what she's doing (me), projects take a loooooooooong time.

So we took a break. For, oh, maybe another 6 months? I lost track of time.

But today. Yes, today. The day I am finishing my New Year's Resolutions. I sewed on the final flaps of fabric, sewed some velcro to the inside of the slipcover, nailed velcro to the back of the couch, secured the slipcover into place, and....

IT'S FINISHED! It only took a year, but it is finished!

(I probably could have taken a better picture. This will have to do.)

Thanks, Mom!

7 comments:

Chelle said...

the couch looks great! Sounds like it was a lot of work. by the way, we loved your Christmas card. You look so good! You are so skinny. All that running paying off eh? We will be in CA this summer visiting his parents. I wanted to coordinate with a possible 10 yr reunion for Jare, but he has been adamant about not wanting to go, so I've decided to stop bugging him. We'll let you know the dates so we can try to get together.

Chris said...

Wasn't it forth all that time! We did good! I think it turned out just as you'd envisioned (two?) years ago. I enjoyed every minute we spent together on the project. Thanks Molly. Hey, did you notice how short my hair used to be? and how long yours was?

Julia said...

lurrrrve it. that looks amazing. i am envious of those genetic traits. :)

Camelia Bradshaw said...

AMAZING! Can I have your mom over? You must be so proud. It looks better then the store bought. Looks beautiful and comfy, the best combo.

thebakerbook said...

Gorgeous! I love it!!

Bonnie said...

Wow - what a transformation! I am seriously impressed. I can't wait to inherit that trait from my mom... she just laughed when I asked her if it maybe skips a generation...

mer said...

Wow! Look at you! That looks so professional. Hey, uh, I have an old rocking chair that needs to be reupholstered...are you coming to UT anytime soon?