Tuesday, December 23, 2008

annoying holiday shoppers

I went shopping today--along with the rest of the world. I am not a fan of shopping in crowds (especially since you can shop in peace during the rest of the year), so the fact that I went out shopping today was a surprise to even me. In fact, I have avoided malls for this entire holiday season. Impressive? You bet. I'm okay with crowds in at a concert, in a big city, at a New Years party, or during big races. No, scratch that. I don't even like crowds in races. Give me wide open spaces any day.

But back to my story. Everywhere I went, I parked in the farthest corner of the parking lot so that I didn't have to deal the holiday parking-spot road rage. I'm just not interested in watching people be annoyed and impatient. I'm on vacation. Everything I'm doing this week is slow and calm and carefree.

I had to get one last thing before Christmas, and when I found it, I noticed that the check-out line wound all the way to the back of the store. I didn't mind, though. It is two days before Christmas, so I didn't expect anything less. I just enjoyed my time in line playing a game on my phone.

After waiting in the loooooong line, I stopped into another store where I was actually surprised to find a lady to help me (it seemed she was one of the only people on the floor). She had been helping me for less than 30 seconds when a very annoyed man interrupted us. It was obvious he had been standing in line for what he considered WAY too long. [Side note: his line was half as long as the one I had stood in.] He walked up and quite rudely said, "Is there a reason there are only two people at the cash registers? Does that other register not work?" The lady politely said, "I don't know, actually. You'll have to ask the cashiers." To which the guy answered, "What? Do you not know how to work the register or something?" and stomped back to his place in line in a huff.

I looked at the lady and said, "Well he was rude, wasn't he?" She smiled and said, "If he didn't want to stand in line, he should have gotten his shopping done earlier."

Amen, lady. A-men.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Haha. Great post. I just went shopping at Target and CVS pharmacy. (Yes, after 10pm.) I had to pick up a couple little things. There were tons of cars in the Target parking lot, but no one in line when I went to check out. It was great. And, at CVS because Christmas is only two days away, all the candy for our stockings was already 50% off! Sometimes it pays to shop late!!

Bonnie said...

That's what I love about you Molly... you are a peaceful person! Even during Christmas shopping! In Utah people are generally rude like that, so I've been apalled at the "Christmas Spirit" around here as well... Merry Freakin' Christmas everyone.

Have a great Christmas!

Julie and Lenny said...

that's hilarious! i love that story. I can't believe you waited so long to shop!

Brody said...

Thats how we make it through working retail at Christmas. Its actually REALLY simple-- like so obvious you don't even think of it.

Kerri said...

Yeah, Bonnie, I am envious of Molly's peacefulness! I feel like I'm running around trying to "catch up" to life while Molly seems to have it all under control! How can I put on that facade?

And my advice to that man: He shouldn't have gotten out of line...now he has to wait all over again.