Saturday, October 4, 2008

conference weekend

For those of you who may not know, twice a year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints holds a General Conference for all its members around the world. We have the opportunity to listen to church leaders speak about spiritual topics. This weekend is conference weekend, and we are watching Conference on the internet: http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=178&lang=english. Sessions are held at 10am and 2pm Mountain Time (9 and 1 Pacific Time) on Saturday and Sunday.

The conference talks from this morning's session really were great. I made breakfast while we listened to the talks. I really think I pay attention much better when my hands are busy doing something mindless. Like the Stake Conference (a large meeting with the members from a certain geographical area) back in high school when Ashley and I spent the entire time tearing the program paper into shapes--trees, people, animals, etc. To this day I remember that I had never paid attention as well as I did that day. In one of today's conference talks, they talked about how we shouldn't do things that distract us from the messages in Sacrament Meeting (a meeting for members from the same city who meet together weekly), like talking, reading, etc. But interestingly enough, doing mindless things with my hands helps me pay attention even better.

I loved the messages this morning about missionary work, faith, and hope. How we may never realize all the people who will be touched in the future by your seemingly small efforts to share the Gospel. How having faith is a decision you consciously make. How you may not know everything, but you know enough to know that Heavenly Father loves you and knows you and will give you strength, and sometimes that's all you need. How you should never forget the things you hope for and have hope in.

On a totally different note, I'm glad I have conference to listen to today, because otherwise I would be completely miserable. I feel like my cold has gotten worse instead of better. I was supposed to go run a 10-miler with Whitney at 7am this morning, but when I woke up on my own at 5:40am, I started wondering if that was such a good idea. My head hurt. My throat hurt. My ear hurt. My sinuses hurt. I just didn't feel good at all. And we've had this conversation many times--at what point do you suck it up and keep training, and at what point do you listen to your body and rest. It may seem like an easy decision to you non-runners, but there's sometimes a fine line between being a wimp and being smart. And I wasn't sure if I was just being a wimp and would feel fine after I was up and moving for the day. I knew I could pull off a 10-miler, but I didn't know if I should. I was just going to go back to sleep until my alarm went off and then get ready for my run, but I decided to said a little prayer instead, because I kept getting this feeling that "sucking it up and running" wasn't the best idea. So I lay there wide awake for a couple minutes before I heard a very low, constant rumble. I jumped out of bed and looked out the window and it was pouring rain. Looked like a pretty clear answer to me. I canceled my run and went back to sleep. And it was absolutely the right decision. I feel like crap. My head feels like it's going to explode. If I had cranked out 10 miles this morning, I can pretty much guarantee I would only feel worse right now, and I don't really want to know what "worse" feels like.

I know this sounds like a pretty small thing, but I'm really not one to ditch out on a run last-minute. If we plan it, I'll show up. So I would have gone, and I would have stressed my body. I'm pretty sure the rain cleared shortly thereafter and all the other girls probably did their long runs this morning. But I know that my simple prayer was answered in a very clear way. Sometimes even for seemingly insignificant things we don't know what's best for us, but we can get simple answers. Today I needed the rest, and all it took was a little prayer to push me past my running pride and stay home.

3 comments:

whitney said...

i'm glad you didn't make yourself even more sick. it is for sure hard to decide sometimes... to run or not to run? i wish i would remember prayer more often for such simple decisions! thanks for the reminder. i didn't actually go until 11:00 and finished just as the afternoon session was starting. i had a few miles of rain, but it was actually very refreshing.

Carbonneau said...

I love to be doing something while listening to conference. This afternoon I brought my laptop into the bathroom and scrubbed my shower and hung all my clothes in my closet while I listened to the talks. Nothing like a clean room and great messages! :)

Bonnie said...

I'm the same way! I call it TV ADD because I can't just sit. During the morning session I cleaned the house, made breakfast, and did my nails! And I remember every single talk! Some people don't know what they're talking about when they say don't distract yourself ...