Tuesday, September 16, 2008

bless Target

Like I mentioned before, we're going to be using a lot of songs in my ESL class. Today was only the second day, but I figured we could jump right into it. The first song I chose is The Beatles "Hello, Goodbye." I mean, it doesn't get much simpler than that. Hello, goodbye, yes, no, why?, I don't know, present tense, discussion about what "opposites" are, etc. Perfect!

One flaw. The Beatles music isn't sold online. And this little Beatles fan doesn't actually have any Beatles CDs. I know. Weird. I've asked for them on Christmas and birthday wish lists, but I seem to be too cheap to buy them on my own. Maybe it's the fact that I can sing all the songs without the actual music. Hmmm.

Sorry. Back from the tangent. I realized as I was about to head off to my class that my perfect plan to just download the song from iTunes was foiled. I didn't have time to search the web for a downloadable pirated copy, so I decided we would have to go music-less until I got my hands on a copy of the song.

So during the last 15 minutes of class, we read the song together and talked about what it meant. First I tried to get the students to guess the song just by looking at the lyrics. No luck. And then it hit me. Oh! The Target commercial! It's on a Target commercial! That struck a familiar chord. One student perked up and (kind of) sang the tune of the chorus. And I swear probably half the class went "Ohh!" in a chorus and just like that almost all of them knew what song we were learning.

You say goodbye, and I say bless Target.

5 comments:

Camelia Bradshaw said...

Where were you when I was taking ESL classes 12 years ago? ( in diperes probably ;) You are so much fun. I almost want to take those classes again. They were fun except I don't care much about writing. But I loved all the different articles our teacher made us read. We watched "Fiddler on the roof" one time and I thought it was the best movie ever. Our teacher had something interesting up her sleeve every time. Good old days. Your students are so lucky to have you as a teacher.

ryan, maren and leah said...

love it. what's funny is when i read "hello. goodbye." in your post for the first time, i immediately started to sing the song in my head and picture the target commercials. so many reasons to love that blessed store. i think i'll go tomorrow.

p.s. you should ask for a beatles cd for THIS birthday comin' up...i bet someone could find one at target!

Julia said...

jona and i love singing that song in target. in fact, we did it just last week.

you are going to be an amazing teacher molly. you are so talented.

and yes, bless target.

Amy Carter said...

considering your entire family owns multiple beatles albums, you should never have to actually go out and buy one, or waste a birthday wish on one. just head over to my house or Tyler's with some blank cd's and burn as many as you'd like.

ps, i wish i could see your class singing. that's so cute.

Molly said...

Ok, ok. It's true. That's the reason I've never bought any Beatles albums. I know our family has every song ever made, but I just keep forgetting to make copies. That's the true reason I just can't bring myself to buy them. :)