Thursday, July 10, 2008

retrato en sepia

I finally finished my book: Retrato en Sepia by Isabel Allende. I started it over a year and a half ago, and I finally finished it this week (walking to and from work, lunch, and everywhere else I went).

I'm not a big book critic (you have to actually read books to be a critic) and I'm fairly easily pleased, but this book is so obviously good that I can't wait to read the next book I purchased by her (Eva Luna--it's sitting on my dresser). I'm sure the book is wonderful in English, but a huge part of what I loved about it was the beautiful way she used the Spanish language. I crave being able to use Spanish the way she does. The emotion was so real. The metaphors were eye-opening. The history was enlightening. And the characters were real.

While I don't normally have "favorite quotes" or things like that, I couldn't deny that line after line was intriguing. These were some beautiful and powerful lines I came across in the past couple of days. Granted, they are much more beautiful in context, but this will have to do:

"...el amor es un contrato libre que se inicia en un chispazo y puede concluir del mismo modo. Mil peligros lo amenazan y si la pareja lo defiende puede salvarse, crecer como un arboly dar sombra y frutos, pero eso solo ocurre si ambos participan."

"La vida es larga, Aurora. Ahora lo ve todo negro, pero el tiempo cura y borra casi todo. Esta etapa es como andar por un tunel a ciegas, le parece que no hay salida, pero le prometo que la hay. Siga andando, nina."

3 comments:

d/b/c/m said...

a leer in espanol es como una brisa verano y me hace sentir como la vida tiene mas importancia y passion...ahhhh. pero solo por un ratito antes de me duele la cabeza. lo me cuesta.

impresionante, nena!

Chris said...

If I'm not mistaken, a friend recommended this series in English, and I think she said that Portrait in Sepia was the second of the three. Congratulation Molly. What an accomplishment.

Molly said...

Yeah, I figured out the book is somewhat related to two of her other books, but I think the books just have some overlapping characters, not that they have to be read in order. Not sure, though. Oh well! I recommend it!